Good evening DL Community,
I’m back (again lol) with some new issues that I can’t seem to understand and looking for some input.
- Distro/Version: OpenSUSE 15.3
- Kernel: 5.3.18-52
- Started: It’s been going on with KDE breaks for over three weeks but worsening each week
- Change the likely caused issues: Unsure; been pretty stable and not playing around too much with configs.
- Steps taken to solve issue: I have attempted to try the different KDE/Plasma options for the DE such as vanilla Plasma, Plasma (Wayland), and Plasma (Full Wayland) each had varying worse issues lol
- Set Up (please keep in mind - this is just a lab box): CPU: AMD FX-4300 (4) @ 3.800GHz / GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / dual monitors - Acers
What’s the problem?:
My system started to act funny first with KDE Plasma with the Night Mode. I had the issue start on both my laptop and lab box. The night mode just would stop sticking to “all the time” on style. While on the laptop it reverted to a time frame, the lab is REALLY going down hill…
Turning on the box today, the monitors reversed their position (1 reversed with 2). I fixed this and changed them back - and then it went from “oh, you reversed?” to - “Why is the left screen extending, literally, into the right screen now… and why is the right screen shaking?” Also, the screen resolution was set correctly (based on system display settings) but WOW was everything SUPER big. lol
I could not solve this complication so I moved forward with doing a restart in case that would help. Returning, it did not change anything and the symptoms lasted. So, I downloaded XFCE for an alternative DE to reference if it was system specific or if this was possible just a DE/KDE issue.
Positive side, XFCE works flawlessly. Sad panda side… trying out the different Plasma options after logging out each time - the experiences were terrible. While vanilla Plasma had the screen issues, Wayland options were either entirely broken or they would open, show a brief background, go entirely black, and then return with a floating terminal window that I keep open just in case needed (thankfully!).
So, with all that shared, I wanted to reach out and ask if others have come across a weird example like this or similar? What did you do to fix the situation?
The next step I am attempting is:
sudo zypper remove -t pattern kde kde_plasma
sudo zypper install -t pattern kde kde_plasma
I’m not sure if this will help but so far, I could not find any other alternative ideas. I’m not sure… maybe I broke it and there could have been a cache cleaning option?