Newbie needs direction to setup a VPS with a VPN

Looks like the country where I live will outlaw VPN privacy. What is the easiest way for a non-technical newb like me to set up my own VPN in USA? I need VPN access to US and would like VPN access to UK.

Can I get a pre-made image that has the server and VPN all bundled together? Can Docker/Kubernetes/container do something like this? Something like a one click install for the whole thing?

Is a US based VPS with VPN an effective way to get around laws and systems that block/compromise commercial VPNs?

If you’re ok sharing the law or situation it’d help with the advice because you may for example need to hide that you’re using a VPN all together which is a totally different situation.

Broadly speaking there’s an old saying… “never roll your own security”. Like most sayings it’s nonsense when taken to extremes but unless you’re pretty comfortable with networking you probably shouldn’t roll your own VPN if you need something you can trust.

I’ve no doubt there’s server images and containers that can insta-deploy one but you’ll be inheriting a black box someone else made that you won’t know how to maintain or even if it’s set up well. The company hosting your server will also know exactly who you are, have access to all your metadata and your ISP will know you’re using them from your traffic.

Personally i’d check out Tor, particular if it’s combined with Tails OS.

You can also get an anonymous VPN account if it’s free or payable by cash through the mail. You need to be VERY cautious about free VPNs but ProtonVPN is a really good option and they have free servers in several countries. Mullvad VPN is the only one I know where you can pay by cash for an anonymous account though I think ProtonVPN accepts gift cards now so you could do it that way.

Hmmm… Looks like a DIY VPN is not effective/useful if the country uses a national firewall.

“Censorship-heavy countries like China invest enormous resources in keeping their firewalls up. They have all big cloud companies on their radars, so your [VPS provided] assigned IP address will most likely be blocked.”

from How to Build Your Own VPN (and Why You Might Want to) (2022)

I downloaded Tor and will give it a spin. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just thinking out loud here but you could VPN into your own server as a means to tunnel a second connection into your official VPN provider (both connections originating from you locally, not your server).

ProtonVPN offers something called “Secure Core” which effectively does the same thing allowing you to VPN into one of their locations you don’t necessarily trust merely as a way to tunnel your main VPN connection into one of their locations you do trust.

All your ISP sees is encrypted VPN traffic going to the first location and all that first location sees is encrypted VPN traffic going to the intended destination.

This is complicated to set up but the easiest way would be to have your router handle the first VPN layer and have your PC or a 2nd router handle the second one.

1 Like

I did some more research on the new VPN rules and, if one is able to purchase VPN service in another country, then you’re good and not effected by the new VPN laws. So, because I can access a VPN server outside the country where I live, I’m in good shape and won’t be effected. Only VPN servers in-country will need to start logging.