Mono / yWriter on Linux / Debian

I used to be able to run the excellent yWriter software on Debian using the mono command in the directory containing the executable, as it says on the official website.

mono ./yWriter6.exe

Now instead I get the following error:

The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies.

Any mono experts who might know what the problem is and how to fix it, I wonder, please? I have the latest version of mono from their repositories. It updated today and I hoped it would start working again, but it has not :confused:

Wow sorry I don’t have an answer but I didn’t even know something like that was possible. I’m no coder in any shape or form, is mono like a c# in linux? So if an application is written in c# it might be possible to run it in linux if you have mono installed?

1 Like

I’m no expert on Microsoft technologies either, though as far as I know Mono is an open-source implementation of their .NET technologies or at least a very large subset thereof. The purpose is to allow applications coded using Microsoft languages (such as C# and Visual Basic) to run on operating systems other than Windows.

yWriter used to work perfectly under Debian 9 but recent versions of Mono are not able to run it under Debian 10 - at least not on my systems. I think there’s probably some minor detail I’m missing but no response of yet.

Thanks for your feedback anyway, jackjack5!