Manjaro fail - Endeavor fail

I’m done with Manjaro. Over the last several months every update has issues ranging from failure to notify of updates to corrupt pkgs in the cache.

Tried very hard today to install Endeavor, but finally gave up. The installer has too many issues partitioning disks. I had no issues in gparted, but then Endeavor refused to write the grub config to disk.

I’m going back to MX Linux.

Sorry to hear that. I did notice there have been more errors in package corruptions as of late in Arch as a whole. It’s not been difficult to overcome but still annoying enough that I get the frustration.

I’ve been playing with MX 19 AHS (Advanced Hardware Support) and really like it. I will be doing a video on it soon.

2 Likes

I did submit a bug report for the pacman issue. The only responses I’ve gotten are ‘me to’ messages.

I ran MX for a little over a year and loved it. My only complaint was that new versions of apps are slow to be introduced.

I just read that to install Endeavour with luks you can select to have swap during the install and the luks passphtase has to be letters and numbers only. Wow. That won’t work for me.

I will try Linux Ninja’s script next. I’m not giving up on Arch yet.

Installed Solus KDE with LUKS & LVM. Was a very fast and trouble free install. Was very surprised to find every app I wanted to install in their repo.

This is why I went back to Debian, Buster on my main machine and testing on two laptops. On one of these Laptop I don’t use a lot, the last update had more than 500 packages to update including kernel, and this went without any trouble. This laptop is now since mid 2019 on testing without any problems. This is why I stick on Debian. Of course Buster has dated packages but is rock-solid, and Testing is as stable or even better as many rolling release distros, and has quite up-to-date packages too.

1 Like

Good point about using Debian Testing…

I know Manjaro has a history of f.ing up for no apparent reason. And my experience with Endeavour hasn’t been great either, mostly for the installer but the after installation experience isn’t that great either.

I can only suggest you try to install Arch manually, it’s not that big of a deal if you follow the wiki and know what you’re doing.

I suggest you get accustomed to it in a VM, then go ahead and do a proper install on hardware. I know it’s not for everyone, but to be honest if you can spend some time learning the process, it’s 100% worth it. I’m writing this from my desktop PC running Arch with the installation date being 2017-09-06. And I’ve only reinstalled the system then because I switched to an SSD. It survived a CPU upgrade and a switch from NVIDIA to AMD.