Manjaro (Arch) sudo timeout issue

Hello all,

I’m running the latest release of Manjaro. My issue doesn’t seem to be affected by which kernel I’m running.

Due to a script that takes a very long time to run (4+ hours), I need some way to extend the sudo timeout so the script can run uninterrupted. Preferably, I’d like to disable the password requirement altogether. Please trust me when I say that I know that’s a bad idea and why it is, but disabling the password completely would be ideal for me.

I’ve Googled and Googled. I’ve found many different suggestions on how to edit the visudo file to accomplish this, but none of them work for me. Maybe Arch is different from other distros in this respect? I don’t know, but I have definitely spent a lot of time researching and experimenting before I posted this.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Niphoet

Have you looked at this? Sudo - ArchWiki

1 Like

Sounds like this some sort of automation script. If that is the case then I would suggest using su to an account that has higher privileges. Also, you can configure an account to use sudo without a password.

From a security stand-point, I would use an account that is not able to login remotely. In other words, an account that can only be used once you are already authenticated (or are logging in from the console directly, not via ssh).

Such an account could be configured with a cron job to run the script automatically, if the automation is time-based, ie daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for your replies. I figured out that adding this to the end of the visudo file did the trick:

Defaults timestamp_timeout=-1

Thanks again!

2 Likes