Managing docker (without cockpit)?

I’m just installing cockpit on one of my Ubuntu servers and can’t seem to find the cockpit-docker module.

It used to exist… for managing docker containers via cockpit.

$ sudo apt install cockpit-docker            
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package cockpit-docker is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'cockpit-docker' has no installation candidate

Can cockpit only manage Podman now?

Ah, OK, I finally found it: Cockpit 228 — Cockpit Project

“As announced half a year ago in Cockpit 215, cockpit-docker is deprecated in favor of cockpit-podman.”

Ok, that’s annoying. What do others do? Have you switched to Podman? Or is there something else preferable to ease managing docker containers?

1 Like

I just built my first Kubernetes cluster ( k3s ) and I am looking at portainer, as it has excellent docker support. It can be used directly with docker (without Kubernetes).

I think the webUI in portainer is one of the easiest ways to manage docker.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

1 Like

what did your k3s cluster go?

At the risk of thread-jacking the OP’s topic:

Sorry @caffeinatedtech

To try to make up for this, here is a short video that I recently watched that speaks very highly of Cockpit:

I’m in the beginning stages of building out a k3s cluster in my home lab.

For me, this is partly for learning a couple of specific technologies, like improving my Docker skills, learning Kubernetes, and learning to apply Ansible to Docker and Kubernetes.

I’m using k3s with Raspberry PI 4b’s and right now I have have a two-node cluster up and running. As I think through I where I want to go with this, I’ve decided to switch RPi cases from the standard acrylic stackable case over to the C4Labs Cloudlet Case:

And, I’m also going to adding the low-profile LoveRPI PoE Hat to reduce the number of cables to manage.

All of this is a work in progress.

1 Like

No apologies needed! Hijack to your heart’s content… :+1:

We can all learn from each other. When I learnt that Cockpit no longer supported docker I was interested to know what other’s were using. I’ll definitely watch that video through later myself…

1 Like