Looking for some insights

I am currently thinking of buying a laptop from Tuxedo Computers and was looking for some input on the purchase. In the picture is all the specs and price. Here is a link to the machine itself. Any thoughts or even opinions will help immensely. Thank you

Different activities have different requirements. Text editing, writing a dissertation, video rending, audio recording, gaming, etc… What will be your primary use(s) of the laptop?

Light video editing, digital painting, some audio editing, and occasional vm creation will be the main use of the machine.

That processor and graphics are more than enough for what you want to do. The are two limiting factors in this configuration:

1. the screen resolution. It has been a recent topic on the Hardware Addicts Podcast that the era of 1920 x 1080 resolution on a laptop is coming to a close (and according to them should have been closed by now). If you plan on keeping the laptop for many years, you might be happier with a higher resolution. I personally can’t speak to that as I still have an old laptop that is 1920 x 1080.
    1. the initial size of the drive. One TB will take awhile to fill. But if you hoard a lot of digital clutter, it will fill up. The good news is that it’s easy enough to offload some of that to another system, the cloud, or to add that 2nd sdd later. So, this concern is not really pressing.
1 Like

From LTT’s opinion 3k screens are perfect and 4k isn’t experientially different from 3K except in whatever the default scaling looks like. 4K also has the downside of forcing the GPU to push a lot of pixels and the backlight has to be stronger so it’s not great for battery. I’d also recommend 120hz or higher. I can notice 60hz vs 120hz while coding but not more than that.

I think 1080p is for ultimate road warrior battery life.

1 Like

Good point here re the battery life with the 1080. I kind of wonder (but didn’t ask) how far from electric this will be used. Some people use laptops to sit on the couch and others use laptops to sit in the woods.

Launching VMs in the Woods sounds like the name of a good blog.

1 Like

For me the only downside would be the preinstalled OS, I would take something different or in the best case even without an operating system. Otherwise the machines looks excellent on paper. I still had not the honor to use a resolution like 1080p and here there are people already saying it is yesterday’s news. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely plan to replace the pre installed OS with openSUSE Tumbleweed.

I would prefer a 2 or 3 K display and a glass touchpad but unfortunately there are other factors that they offer only laser etching logos on the chassis lid if the lid is aluminum most of the others are magnesium. Also the price is a bit out of my range. I do like the size of the screen being 17 in. Sometimes we have to settle for something good enough. I really appreciate all of the input from you all.

1 Like

I was looking at the info on this device on the website and came across an interesting gem of info the backlit keyboard is multi-color RGB, it might not be a functional perk but nonetheless a nicety.

1 Like

Not the keyboard I’d want, but otherwise, not bad. (I wouldn’t keep the installed OS, though.)

I definitely plan to install openSUSE Tumbleweed on the device. They offer openSUSE Leap installs via their WebFAI but I prefer Tumbleweed.

Well, I have made a final decision on my Tuxedo machine. After some very careful due diligence and many many careful thoughts. I have settled on a what I believe to be the best machine for my needs. The InfinityBook Pro 16 Workstation Edition, I know that is also has the option to have a dGPU (NVIDIA) but that really doesn’t sit well with me. The only thing about the machine in question is should I boost the RAM to 32 gigs?
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 23-30-27 Shopping cart - TUXEDO Computers

If there are 2 more open slots on the board for the memory upgrade at a later date, you could purchase the 16 GB version now and upgrade later without penalty. (But I speak from a perspective of being comfortable with opening a laptop and adding memory.)

If, however, there are only 2 slots in total on the board for memory and upgrading to 32 GB would mean buying 2 x 16 GB sticks and shelving, or trying to sell the 2 x 8 GB sticks, then it would be much easier and cheaper to buy the 32 GB now.

I believe there are only 2 slots. I will definitely be considering it. Thank you for your insight.

I just recently bought a laptop myself, First thing I did was install 2 X 16GB stick of ram. I think 32GB of RAM is invaluable for modern web browsing and creator tools.

I definitely went with the 32 GB of RAM. I got the go ahead from my spouse to purchase the laptop. So it is in the works. I really appreciate all of the replies. Another reason I love this community. Thank you to everyone. :smiley:

4 Likes

The machine I ordered was received yesterday. It’s beautiful in its black chassis. It currently has Tuxedo OS on it but later today it’ll be rocking openSUSE Tumbleweed.

3 Likes

Dude that trackpad. Proper size.

1 Like