LaCrOS - Google's upcoming Linux and Chrome OS

I’ve just been reading an online article mentioning LaCrOS for Chromebooks, Google’s Linux and Chrome OS, which apparently uses Linux for the base and decouples the browser from the internals of the OS. I don’t really like Google and haven’t used their Chromebooks but this is an interesting development, I think, especially if it expands Chromebook compatibility with normal Linux applications, e.g. through Flatpak or Snaps. Share your thoughts?

Chrome OS already is built on Gentoo. I don’t think this LaCrOS is moving to what you think it is. It looks like it is more of a push to port Chrome for Linux more to Wayland and skin it similar to the current Chrome while using existing Chrome OS tech. To me this looks like a security mitigation for older devices.

1 Like

My thoughts is Google is a very bad company, and you should avoid it at all costs.

2 Likes

I see a major win for desktop Linux because to the degree Google uses those packages they’ll likely contribute upstream. I also expect them to start tackling compartmentalization and permissions in a better way which could be copied. Flatsnimages are a good start but nowhere near a final answer.

I see a major loss if Google “out-Linuxes” Linux for users who’s definition of Linux is just a productive non-Windows/Mac alternative. A large percentage of Linux uses main Chromium or a derivative, even the hardcores usually main an Android phone or a derivative. That may start applying to the OS too.

1 Like

I don’t really know anyone who uses Chromebooks. I could see their usefulness for browsing on-the-move but not much else - being preferable to tablets for that because they do at least have a keyboard. For folk who use them, I think keeping the browser secure is probably an advantage; also for those who used Chromium on “regular” distros, I guess that’s helpful, though I try to avoid it myself.

1 Like

I do try to avoid them. I think the next major step forward would be to have a true linux-based phone. PinePhone looks very promising, as do some of the distros supporting it.

1 Like

I think Google could really help Linux uptake through their Chromebooks if they wanted to focus on that, though I get the impression they want their own niche market and although they do support open source in ways, will want to keep their “own version” distinct. I am certainly looking forward to a true Linux phone to replace Android and am keeping an eye on potentially contributing to development of this. Really understanding the internals is one reason why I’ve resumed building LFS as I say elsewhere.

I am going to snag me one of those as soon as I can. Then we have to push the app makers to develop for those. For example, Skype and Spotify. They already both make Linux versions, so let’s push them to make mobile Linux versions.

1 Like

Well, time to out myself! I daily-drive Chrome OS on a Google Pixelbook Go. It serves me well not just for browsing and content consumption, but I can do just about anything I would normally do on another OS just fine on it. Video editing, photo editing, writing, and gaming. It’s different, but is not limited to just browsing. On top of that, the far superior battery life compared to any other Linux distribution makes it a tough one to beat. Even more, is the fact that I have official support directly from Google for six more years should I need it. And I also have full GPU acceleration functionality out of the box, which not only applies to just media playback, but website content rendering as well… And doesn’t just stop there, as webapps also benefit from this, despite being “separate” from the main browser window. Then there’s all the work that’s gone into refining its tablet mode, something which no other distribution really has nailed beyond basic touch support.

It’s hard to say, because I really like Ubuntu and elementary OS and Pop!, and others… But Chrome OS kinda seems to be the most market-ready and widely-adoptable Linux operating system out there. It’s easy to knock because it seems so incredibly simple, but it’s far more powerful than what you see on the surface.

1 Like

I do like the idea of the long battery life and a simplified user interface, but if it is something like this we’re talking about, then I cannot see a justification for that price tag on what is essentially just low power consumer grade hardware.
I have a lot of tasks that require way more power than what it can deliver, so it could never be my daily driver and if all I am looking for is a low-power mobile device, a price tag of $649 to $1399 seems ridiculous.
On top of that, jumping into bed with Google to such a degree, makes me very concerned.

1 Like

I’m driving the i5 8GB ram model which ran me about $750. The build quality of the device far exceeds many devices twice the price of it and the lightweight but incredibly rigid chassis has made it a clear winner for me. I get that it’s not the ideal laptop for everyone, but I’m not really recommending it either. I’m just throwing out there what I use. Use what works for you, dude. For me, this device solidified the notion that wanting a simpler computing experience does not mean sacrificing quality. Nothing ridiculous about it. With any other device I’d be making compromises, especially non-Chromebooks.

I happily switched from a device with a 10th gen i7 and a 4K display to this. I dumped my XPS 13 just as well. Nothing else even comes close to delivering this kind of experience for me.

And I have no concerns about using a Google device. I have an android phone, use tons of Google services and apps… It’s nothing but moot for me to worry about that for my use, because I’m already using their stuff.

1 Like