Kde plasma baloo crashing start

Hi, guys, I need some help. If @MichaelTunnell can help again #plasma #expert :grinning: Anybody can help. I have looked on duckduckgo search for help I can’t find how to fix this. The Baloo Indexer is crashing on startup all the time. Here’s what I get

replace called with invalid arguments, docId: 23080956680210433 url: "/home/tj/"
mdb.c:2127: Assertion 'rc == 0' failed in mdb_page_dirty()
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/baloo_file from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = baloo_file path = /usr/bin pid = 8041
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/baloo_file 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 9 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 11 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 10 and type 'Exception', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 5 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 12 and type 'Read', disabling...

What should I do moving forward?

Thanks for your awesome help and support.

1 Like

Which distro are you running?
Which version of Plasma are you using?

I’m using Pop OS Gnome, I installed KDE also.
Which was 5.16 stable right?.

Now that think about it. I upgrade Plasma to 5.18 through backports. These is still in testing Right? its coming out on LTS 20.04. I can still work everything works fine just this baloo crash and baloo indexing not enabled.

Is this baloo indexing the same thing as when you search in the system settings to find things or no.

Thanks. Hope your safe well

I don’t know what the solution to this is but I am not surprised something funky like this would happen because installing different DEs in one system sounds like a good idea and should work but rarely does it work as well as you’d want it to unless the things installed are closely related.

I would say that it would be better to use Plasma on something designed to use it like Kubuntu. Using PopOS as the base and then also using Backports on top of that is something that I would expect to go even more funky.

Did you install KDE through the kubuntu-desktop package or the kde-plasma-desktop package?

I installed PopOS then I did.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade make sure everything was updated

then I did sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop then repeat the first command. just make sure everything was ok.

Then i did

sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt update 
sudo apt install plasma-desktop

I did test this in virualbox before i did this on hardware to make sure everything was good i didn’t see that baloo crash in the virtaulbox. which is werid. What is this baloo indexing anywhy is it part of searching in for things iin system settings or no? I’m just curious.

Baloo is the indexing tool for file searching and all kinds of other stuff. It’s kind of like GNOME’s Zeitgeist indexing.

The problem is the Kubuntu Backports are meant for kubuntu-desktop package not the one you installed so I dont know what the issue is exactly but I am not surprised the issue arose.

I dont know what the solution is in this case as I have not tried to do this approach to getting Plasma.

1 Like

Try clearing the Baloo database by deleting ~/. local/share/Baloo. Logout then log back in. Plasma should recreate the Baloo index database.

2 Likes

WOW @douhunt that worked. Thank you Thank you :smile: so much. Somebody give him Gold Star :star:

1 Like

Glad you got it working!!! I once had an issue of Baloo using 100% of my cpu and that fixed my problem.

1 Like