Is there a Bitwarden counterpart for bookmarks?

Hi there,

I kept hearing the 3 Musketeers talking and talking about how Bitwarden is so great, so, I decided to check it out. Ok, yes, it is Great.

Now, I am wondering if I could find a similar program to keep the browser bookmarks on a sort of safe, so I can access them from any browser, similar to how BW handles the passwords.

I am currenly using a firefox-chrome extension,

That kind of does it, using Dropbox, works ok, but you know, Dropbox.

Does someone out there knows of a way to keep bookmarks like that?, this is not my language, I know it sounds funky when I read it.

Cheers.

1 Like

It might not fill the “use on any browser” but wouldn’t be simple to use the account feature of Firefox ? Of course there has to be a possibility to install Firefox on the computers you might use…

You might want to have a look at this article:

Perhaps you will find one that would fit your requirements.

2 Likes

One of the main advantages and reasons why Bitwarden is recommended, is that it is fully open source.
There are good closed source alternatives, primarily LastPass.

There are many closed source bookmarks sync apps, but if you don’t mind using closed source or having the data hosted out of your control, I would just recommend using Firefox Sync (which is actually open source, but not really something Mozilla has made easily available for the user to customize) or Google Sync, since they are solid and come with the browsers.

For open source alternatives, I would recommend you take a look at Nextcloud Bookmarks or Wallabag.
Both can be selfhosted or you can purchase a subscription to have it hosted elsewhere.
The Nextcloud Bookmarks sync extension Floccus for both Firefox and Chromium-based browsers can also sync to a WebDAV dir or a local file, that you can use with your own sync application.

2 Likes

Remember to disable Firefox Sync, if you have it enabled, as it will conflict with Floccus.

Also, as with any sync application, it does not replace a good backup strategy, so you should probably include your browser profile dir in your backups or manually export your settings routinely.