Is AMD Really The Golden Child Of Linux?

By Alan Diggs

1 Like

As someone who is on a system where Nouveau drivers work quite well, I think you were fair to NVIDIA. Even though the barrier to entry is higher, you can at least use dkms or something to get the drivers you crave.

I have to say the trick seems to be providing the drivers. Maybe Ubuntu based distributions need to consider shipping the kernel and mesa as soon as it clears into Debian Testing. I was under the impression that Pop_OS! shipped with a quicker updated graphics drivers than Ubuntu. I thought newer Mesa and hwe made it in faster. I guess not.

Great article.

1 Like

I’m going full AMD for my upcoming build, and the issues most Linux users experienced with Navi is definitely a concern for me.

1 Like

Had a very bad experiance trying AMD recently, so I will stay with Nvidia, its way easier to get them up and running good in games. They just need to port over raytracing and especially DLSS.

1 Like

Cases like this is definitely concerning, too. Newest Intel integrated graphics seems to work reliably on latest distros (I installed Ubuntu 19.10 on my 4th gen ThinkPad X1 Yoga (which comes equipped with i7-10710U from Q3 2019, aside from non-graphics-related issues, it runs great. Ryzen 7 3700U was from Q1 2019, so a lot of those major bugs should’ve been ironed out in the kernel.

I’ve been using AMD cpu’s for as long as i can remember. Graphics cards, that’s a different story. I remember buying an AMD card once, having major problems locating and installing drivers which resulted in buying an Nvidia card.
I must say, Nvidia has better support afaik. They get up and running in no time at all.
Maybe that’s changed now, i don’t know. Maybe AMD provides drivers that do a good job nowadays, but i’m happy with Nvidia as it is.

1 Like

As a person who uses an AMD CPU Ryzen 2600 and GPU RX 580
It’s always ran excellent out of the box with any distro

But i can imagine a brand new AMD card can be frustrating for production work
Since my PC is for media consumption , some gaming
I feel i can live with a few bugs for the sake of my beliefs on open source drivers
It really depends on your use case

Also Solus is better for gaming than ubuntu
And its more stable , and it’s a rolling distro!
Well im on endeavor OS Right now but yeah

My next GPU will be AMD
Will probably Use ARCH based Endeavor so i can game and stuff right away
And wait a while until LTS Distros support it
But that’s just me

1 Like

Hello Thunderemp. Welcome!
I’ve been a fan of AMD cpu’s ever since i built my first system. Gpu’s, not so.
Even with proprietary drivers, the experience was never as great that what Nvidia gpu’s have to offer.
So i’ve been using Nvidia ever since.
I’m keeping an eye on the development, but i’m not ready to buy an AMD card just yet.
I’m back on Linux Mint and on this new rig, it’s rock solid. It does everything i need.
That’s the big power of opensource software i guess. There’s always something that will fit your need.