How to Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 But Should You?

https://frontpagelinux.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-20-04-but-should-you/

3 Likes

Are you using 14.04 and can’t pay for support. You should upgrade.

Are you on 16.04 and can’t get support. You should upgrade.

Are you on 18.04? Maybe hold off for now until the .1 release. That way all bugs can be squashed.

Are you on 19.04 or 19.10? You should really upgrade since both of those will loose support from Canonical soon.

Please note: My answers above to do not take into account if your’re in a corporate environment and need I.T.'s blessings to upgrade. Also, DO NOT upgrade if you’re on a version where mission critical work is being done and you cannot afford for the device to be down for any length of time.

Most of what you’ve said here I put in the article but:

14.04 and 16.04 are both “why havent you upgrade already?” :smiley:

19.04 can not upgrade to 20.04 at all only to 19.10 and since 19.04 is already out of support I’m not sure upgrading to 19.10 is possible anymore.

You can still upgrade from 19.04 to 20.04. Just like you said, you will first have to take steps to upgrade to 19.10 and then from there you can upgrade to 20.04 no problem.

1 Like

My $0.02 is to wait until you get the notification to upgrade from the version you’re on. Unless you have a compelling reason to update a stable desktop or need something only available in the latest release, you are better off waiting for a month or so until the first few updates are out. My experience has been that I’ve had a much smoother upgrade by doing this.

2 Likes

Upgrade every box you have while shouting “YOLO!!!” at the top of your lungs!

3 Likes

Switch to ZFS for YOLO x2!!

3 Likes

Yes! That is exactly what I did on the beta. Beta OS running experimental filesystem in production for the YOLO win! What could possibly go wrong? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I appreciate your bravery. :slight_smile: It will be a great learning experience. There’s an important ZFS gotcha you can learn about from @BertN45 , BTW.

3 Likes

I really need to spend more time with ZFS. I keep meaning to but haven’t gotten around to it. I really do think it will be a powerful tool once it’s fully realized.

3 Likes

Reminds me of my favourite joke bash alias:

alias yolo=“git push —force”
2 Likes

When I get curious about a new file system, I find an old USB stick, or MicroSD card to try it out on first, which I consider to be “sacrificial” (or I call it a “prototype”, when talking to other geeks, which sounds cooler). Yes, it’ll perform slowly, but it’s a start.

3 Likes