How to setup UEFI for Kubuntu 21.10?

I’m completely lost on how to configure the UEFI settings properly. I’ve gone through months of confusion and failure trying to keep an installation more than a week to a month or so without one day finding that I’ve booted but with a black screen (with a signal on the display). Sometimes the mouse would move very slowly and I wouldn’t even be able to use the keyboard. So I’m forced to press the reboot button on the case. At first the installation works fine, and then the symptoms I have described above occur. I was installing KDE Neon (User Edition), but now I’m going to install Kubuntu 21.10. Until then, Does anybody own any of the same hardware I listed below? This would be very beneficial on narrowing down the problem.

Fractal Desing R5
Asus HCG850 Gold
Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Corsair LPX (2 x 8 GB) 16GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME 250GB x 2
D-Link DWA-582
Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x 2

The plan is to configure UEFI as follows…

Boot → Secure Boot [ ? ]
Boot → CSM [ ? ]

This doesn’t sound like a UEFI/Secure Boot issue. With SecureBoot It’ll either allow you to boot or it won’t, it shouldn’t work for a week+ then begin to fail in strange ways.

This seems like a hardware issue like bad RAM, an overheating CPU/GPU (dry thermal paste? badly seated heatsink?), maybe a failing power supply that’s dipping voltages but not enough to turn off. I’d try testing or swapping these parts for know good ones to help narrow down the problem.

Maybe I’m updating Linux improperly. I was just using Discover and updating everything throughout the use of KDE Neon and eventually disabling Neon updates after the .5
release of plasma. I was told it could be the use of KDE Neon which is a developer project.
At this point I’m not going to consider hardware because I have no hardware to swap.
It’s a new desktop pc. I’m troubleshooting software first. I don’t know what else to do at
this point.

I just installed Kubuntu 21.10 and the pc is running fine now. Since I’m on a proper distro, I don’t expect this to happen now.

1 Like

I agree with @Ulfnic, it doesn’t sound like a UEFI issue. I see that you have now installed Kubuntu 21.10 and are not having issues right now. That’s great.

I didn’t explain the problem very well. There are so many details to cover, it’s overwhelming.
At least I’m not using KDE Neon anymore which is a start. Upon installing Kubuntu 21.10,
I just left the UEFI configuration as is because there didn’t seem to be a setting indicating a
way of disabling Secure Boot. Fortunately CSM is disabled by default. Also, there was a
setting named Other OS. Would anybody know what this means. I hope the default UEFI
settings are sufficient.