How can the forum be improved?

Is there a way to insert Tabs into your text editing?

Just missed having a tab function, but not sure how difficult it would be to include?

• (oh, also hashtag labels and a search function. Sorry, just kidding. :slight_smile: )
1 Like

Dude that drives me crazy. I have to make a tab in mousepad then copy/paste it in.

I think the problem is tab is a fundamental standard of HTML for transitioning between form elements so the browser thinks you want to move to the next thing. This can be prevented with JS but…

2015 quote from the co-founder of Discourse:

Nor did there seem to be a desire to make an alternative key combo for tabs or put a tab producing button somewhere.

Best thing I can think of is hacking together a CLI command that puts a tab in the clipboard and pastes it with a shortcut key using xclip and xdotool.

1 Like

Does not have to be the tab bar or any other key. Just insert Tabs the same way you insert bold or italic text.

For good measure I tried searching for tab in the control panel and nothing related to making posts comes up. I also can’t find anything with my duckduckfoo.

If it’s something I can do I will do it. I don’t have access to the underlying code to add this manually but i’d imagine it’s a nest of complication 20 miles deep that can break or get overwritten each update.

Another potential fix would be a browser extension though it might need to be written.

1 Like

Here is a simple script that will send a tab character to current window. It will backup and restore the current clipboard, but probably won’t work on data that is not text? Not sure. Just make sure the echo command includes the real tab character. You just need to assign a shortcut to this script. Tested on Firefox in this forum and it works.

#!/bin/sh

backupfile=`mktemp -t clipedit.XXXXXX`
xclip -selection clipboard -out > "$backupfile"

# Send Tab character to current window. 
# (Make sure the character in `echo` is an actual tab.)
echo "	" | xclip -selection clipboard -rmlastnl -in
sleep 0.2
xdotool key --clearmodifiers "ctrl+v"
sleep 0.2

xclip -selection clipboard -in < "$backupfile"
rm -f "$backupfile"
1 Like

Thanks for the effort.

To be clear, it was a bit of a minor issue to complain about needing a fix.

Your all doing a great job. :slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from How can the forum be improved?:

Page Publishing could prove helpful with things like linking to your youtube channels.

1 Like

Interesting… I read up on it and got to this point. It looks like it makes the thread into a permanent page with it’s own styling and link which collides a bit with Michael’s SEO/offical site territory. I’ll ask if it’s a good idea and proceed from there.

Can I be bumped to a regular user. I find myself constantly hitting limits to posts on number of replies, inability to add links and inability to upload media.

Thanks for considering!

What do you think the limitations should be for new users?

Here’s most of the settings I can change:

New Users

First day

Maybe I’m just being dense, but is there an option to save your theme preference? I’d like to keep it to the dark theme by default, but every time I log in I’m blinded by the white.

It should be a choice in Preferences > Interface.

1 Like

Yup, I’m being dense. Okay, got it in big bold letters. Thanks!

1 Like

After I post a topic and the community answers the first time, I’ll post a reply.
I won’t receive anymore replies from anybody else after creating any
additional replies on a topic. I’m not very experienced with forums so I must
be doing something wrong. Maybe there could be a much easier way of
notifying somebody when the user replies?

It depends on how people’s notifications are configured but if you want specific individual(s) to almost certainly be notified you can…

1. Use the “Reply” button on their message
  2. @ the people you’re responding to: @LinuxToAll
  3. Quote the messages of the people you’re responding to:

(click and drag over the text and click “Quote” for as many people’s quotes you’d like to reply too in the message)

The regulars usually see every message that hits the forum but that doesn’t go for everyone.

1 Like

Look at my settings for example.

Edit: I forgot to add another one that I already posted here somewhere.

Just a quick follow up.

Things like rss links and other information are apparently in a temporary state of flux and Michael’s been making a new page that serves the same purpose of my thread but better and with the finalized info.

Your post saved me some work because I was going to improve that thread either way (duplicate effort) and it would have included soon to be deprecated information. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

So did you ever want Distro specific categories?

At the moment if anyone shares then everyone gets that on Latest.

Am wondering how that works if the community gets much larger than it already is?

Is there a way of having Categories for everyone, but also rooms or streams, for people who want to sign up for particular topics?

I might be over thinking this, So feel free to tell me if this breaks the community you are trying to build. Maybe this is what you are wanting to do with your rss.

1 Like

Personally I refresh the main page and if something is new I read it which means sadly I have no experience with tailoring alerts for specific categories/threads.

I figure if people need it I should implement something at that point guided by the collectively way we determine it should work with the benefit of their expertise (and my reading :P).

If I implement a solution early, I may get things wrong and have to reverse changes which may or may not be a big undertaking so there’s some value in airing toward cautiousness. I also may be overthinking this.

2 Likes