Help wanted with Wireguard

My experience has led me to trust wg-quick itself to do all that automagical routing setup. As soon as I start playing around with commands like resolveconf, route, etc., then I just get nowhere fast. Your solution likely lies with going back over your original wireguard config files with a fine-toothed comb, thinking about each line.

hmm, did you see anything wrong with them in the OG post?

Hmm, I did not install “openresolv”, but rather I installed the “resolvconf” package. I’m using MX linux. Could you install resolvconf, rather than openresolv?

Trying that now

Yeah, that didn’t help
Argh, this is so stupid, what I am missing!

Well, it took me quite a while until I broke through myself. Lots of tinkering. If you really want to beat this, I would suggest grabbing a couple of spare Raspberry Pi 3B+'s or something cheap like that (with Ubuntu 20.04), and setting up a simple wireguard tunnel between the two on your LAN, just to get your Wireguard basics off the ground. Then try something harder after that.

It’s sort of like how in the movie Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi taught “wax on, wax off”, before teaching the actual blocking moves in Karate. :grinning:

:martial_arts_uniform: Wax on, Wax off!! :muscle: :trophy:

(Note: not to be confused with “whacks off”)

Okay I have figured it out. A friend from Matrix troubleshooted it with me. We found some errors in the config and a mis-configured Firewall. Thank you @esbeeb and @kobberholm for all your help!

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Could you share the config issue?

I need to add

PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -A FORWARD -o %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eno1 -j MASQUERADE
PostDown = iptables -D FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -D FORWARD -o %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eno1 -j MASQUERADE
1 Like