Gulp! Rust 1.49 made it into Debian experimental, but not into starting-to-freeze Debian 11 "Bullseye"!

The first phase of the Debian 11 “Bullseye” freeze has now happened.

I was hoping the recent release of the Rust programming language (1.49) would make it into this freeze, but alas, it has only made it into the “experimental” area, so far.

What’s so special about Rust 1.49, you ask? It’s the first release of Rust, ever, to officially support the ARM64 architecture. Meaning it would officially be supported on the Raspberry Pi.

If you care about using Rust in the future, on a Raspberry Pi, please consider doing what you can to help Rust 1.49 make it into Debian 11.

2 Likes

Cross post: Rust 1.49 (ARM64 supported) made it into Debian experimental, but not into starting-to-freeze Debian 11 "Bullseye"! - Raspberry Pi Forums

There’s a team of people who package Rust for Debian, and their home page, as it were, is here: Teams/RustPackaging - Debian Wiki

This just seems like the most Debian thing for some reason. Seriously though, I can’t imagine this is a large or disruptive change. I could see it still getting in before milestone 2. I guess email the teams involved and let them know.

1 Like

Although I’m a long-term user of Debian Stable, I haven’t had a chance to look at what to expect yet in the upcoming release 11. From what I know of Rust, it appears to be an excellent language for systems development. I’m also interested in the OS being developed using it. Unfortunately my skill-set isn’t high enough to support its inclusion in Debian 11 directly at this stage, but thanks for bringing it to our attention. Hopefully someone in our community is able to help.

2 Likes