Good books to learn Python from

I started with the book “Automate the Boring Stuff with Python”. I feel like I got a pretty good handle of the basics of the language with that book Plus, the book teaches practical skills.

Next, I started working through “Python Crash Course”. I’m about half way through that book now.

What Python books do you think would be good for beginners or intermediate developers?

1 Like

I am following to get an idea, I wanna teach myself Python and maybe C++

A long time ago I really liked “How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python”. It appears that the latest edition can be found here, I’ll assume it is even better.

1 Like

I feel like my Python stepped up a few notches after going through “Fluent Python” by Luciano Romalho (one of the O’Reilly books).

1 Like

Snakes the thing that inspires so many nightmares and terrifies me during day and night, I am highly terrified by snakes

Learning Python and Programming Python, both from O’Reilly. I usually trust their publications. They cover both versions and although 2 is deprecated or shortly to be deprecated I think due to the amount of legacy code it’s probably worth knowing both versions.

I haven’t done a huge amount with Python but I know these two are easily enough to get started!

1 Like

For me it’s spiders…sneaky little !@#$'s

I have ‘Learning Python’ and it is teaching me about the language, but it does not teach you how to use Python. I will come back to this book once I get a little more practical experience.

1 Like

I’m a survivor of my recent Java module for my degree, so Python is something I’d like to learn as a respite from the horrors of Oracle :joy:

I have a few courses purchased on Udemy which seem good, this one in particular I picked up yesterday:

https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-python-developer-zero-to-mastery/

1 Like

My son found this book to be a wonderful introduction to Python because it introduces you to different ways of using Python. Dispite the title you don’t need to use a Raspberry Pi for all of the programming examples. There is one chapter that deals more with using Python with the physical hardware of a RPi, but much of it can be done on any Linux install.

Someone had mentioned learning C++, and this is my son’s favorite programming language, and although he rarely programs on his RPi’s anymore, he pulls this book out often as a reference.

Alternatively there’s also an MIT Open Courseware Course from a couple of years ago that’s pretty good.

1 Like

For those who like to learn by doing, there’s the online “Python Challenge”. You have to write small python programs to advance to the next level. Each “level” has a unique web page on that site, and the correct result from your programs will in turn reveal which web page (URL) to visit next on that site.

This is quite old now, and probably isn’t updated to Python 3, but it is still a really fun and creative way to learn.

1 Like

@esbeeb, thanks for sharing that…just what I was looking for.

Now that I’ve been scripting in Python for a bit, I started reading Python for DevOps:

This book doesn’t teach you the language as much as it gives examples on how to use it. It includes discussion and examples of some 3rd party modules and some modules from the standard library. I’ve learned some really neat stuff from this book and I’m only on chapter 3.