Getting drunk off Wine: Mixing old favorite windows apps with the Linux desktop

As all good desktop Linux adventures starts with a spouse’s request, this story begins with a request that I touch up a picture for submitting to a local society upon her induction into the group. It was a portrait picture with a green screen behind that should be replaced with a dark smoky background for dramatic feel.

I volunteered to do it and I decided to install Adobe Photoshop CS2 into a Win7 VM that I totally bought and owned and not because Adobe publicly released a certain serial number online and permanently offlined the authentication server. The experience was horrid so I had a thought what if I installed it via Wine - which I did with minor fiddling. Adobe CS2 was rated Gold on WineHQ and just needed a few fonts for it to work.

While using it, a wave of nostalgia hit me. What if I Wined all my old favorite programs from the 90s? Im thinking:
Irfanview - rated platinum on Wine
Winamp+my old visualization favorites (Geiss and Milkdrop, anyone?) - Silver/Bronze
alternatively foobar - Platinum for the 1.6.x versioon
Splash Pro - because I am tasteless and I like frame interpolation to artificially 60fps all the video. (weirdly no winehq entry)

How much Wine do you have on your system (apart from Steam’s Proton)?

4 Likes

I currently don’t have any wine on my system but I have been trying to wine up tax-filing software that I need for our family business, but I can’t seem to do it because of the archaic technologies it seems depend on. I’ve been forced to do it on a VM. :cry:

Installing Photoshop CS2 with wine is a neat idea though. You can still do neat stuff with it despite it being old software.

1 Like

I too have a copy of CS2 – but I run it through a windows VM. Haven’t used it for a couple of years but it works well there.

I run two programs through wine seamlessly.

• Bibleworks - a scholars’ set of study tools for the Bible and Biblical Languages.
  • ChairGun Pro - ballistics program for various types of projectiles and the scopes used to direct them
1 Like

I run Debian Stable so versions of Wine are probably quite vintage. Given how invested I am in Kindle ebooks, especially for work, the Amazon Kindle reader running under Wine would be wonderful; that or even under a reliable Android emulator on Debian. Most Kindle books do work on the Cloud reader under Linux, but more work on Windoze/Android apps. Unfortunately I have never succeeded in getting anything to work under Wine so I’m not currently using it. Kindle and Office365 are the only two applications I need Windoze for now. Other than that yWriter would be useful if it ran under Wine or under Mono, but again I’ve never been able to get it working under either.

1 Like

Currently I only use wine for games.

Usually I do not use Wine but on one of my machines I have set it up to work with PlayOnLinux using Foobar2000 and it works perfectly. Maybe not platinum but definitely gold. Sometimes I just need the great and simple tagger and replay gain capabilities of Foobar.