Gaming controllers help?

I’m in need of insight, two things what controllers work with linux on desktop, and setup helps, old newbie getting back into gaming, old refurb by me desktop (HP elite 8300 I5 3750 APU, no GPU yet SSD SATA III, 16 Gigs DDR3 1600 mhz ram) main distro Fedora 30 ( still hopping and looking) trying to learn.

If you like Xbox controllers, I suggest Xbox One wired controller (not wireless), or Xbox 360 (wired or wireless).

For Xbox 360 wireless controller, you would need a wireless receiver, and IIRC, it should be plug-and-play.

2 Likes

Sounds good I’ll start looking

A tip if you’d like to use the Xbox One S controller connected with Bluetooth:

In Terminal, type:

sudo sh -c ‘echo 1 > /sys/module/bluetooth/parameters/disable_ertm’

That command disables a Bluetooth protocol known as “Enhanced Re-Transmission Mode” which causes issues on Linux with the Xbox One S controller.

You’ll probably want to make this change permanent, so edit (or create) this file using your text editor of choice: /etc/modprobe.d/bluetooth.conf.d by entering:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/bluetooth.conf

That command opens up a Gnome text editor. Now put the following line in the config file:

options bluetooth disable_ertm=1

After that you can pair and use your Xbox One S controller via Bluetooth, and the changes you made will persist across reboots.

1 Like

Awesome that will be a help.

Didn’t know that they work through Bluetooth. Thanks for that!

1 Like

The One S controller does for sure. But not sure about the standard Xbox One Controller.

Aren’t they the same? As far as I know, the only variant of Xbox One controller out there is the Elite controller.

unfortunately my desktop doesn’t have Bluetooth lol

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller because it is such an easier experience than dealing with the wireless adapter.

I have already gone through one Xbox 360 controller due to Rocket League lol so if this one breaks I will probably try my luck on PS3 or PS4 controller because I heard those are fairly well supported on Linux the days.

whenever I get a new controller that connects with Bluetooth, I will probably just by a bluetooth adapter from Amazon or something like that. :smiley:

1 Like

From what I understand the first Xbox One controller used only a WiFi direct method. The second revision (the Xbox One S controller) also uses Bluetooth.

The latest version of Proton has wonderful controller support, including PS4.

2 Likes

I can vouch for the Logitech F310 being super easy to connect and use. It’s wired, USB, and is inexpensive; Bestbuy has it. It’s good quality.

1 Like

Using Manjaro or Arch the Xbox 360 wired controller works right out of the box without any issues. Same as a USB Snes pad I bought a few weeks ago. Another reason I love my arch based systems :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about trying manjaro.

1 Like