Fun with Darktable

The Magic City by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro3 + Viltrox 23mm F/1.4
Processed with DT 3.4

3 Likes

Got a new lens so wanted to give it a go.
It was a bit on the dark side to shoot freehand, but a good test anyway.

Sony A7 + Tamron 28-200mm F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD at 200mm F/5.6 1/160 at ISO800
Just WB adjustment in DT and exported as 3kx2k

3 Likes

A little bit of levels adjustment would have brightened that image right up.

1 Like

you struggle the same as me I think; 5.6 at the long end is a pain in low light, your shutter is a bit low for a sharp image it appears - or you’re just shaky and the stabilisation is struggling possibly. Mine does that, if I take a burst, some of the frames are apparently where it was moving to stabilise and others are crisp where it is holding nice. I burst everything, because why not :man_shrugging:

I lightened up your image a bit, and added some denoise and sharpening (also using the highpass module), I hope you don’t mind. The xmp is here if you want to see what I did (I’d do more if I had a raw): https://we.tl/t-1Nm60yAEGm (I dont think I can upload to forum, that I can see)

Its a bit oversharpened but meh.

2 Likes

Having a bit of fun with some vintage glass… I came across my dad’s camera gear in the attic while looking for something else, and among it was an old Sun Optics 70-210mm f/4. I bought a cheap Minolta MC to Fujifilm X-mount adaptor, and I’m having a lot of fun with this lens. Also yes, I may have a slight starling infestation :slight_smile:.

Lightly edited in with RawTherapee… Mostly haze removal, because the lens got a bit of dirt inside over the years and images look a bit hazy out-of-camera. Other than that just local contrast.

2 Likes

These are awesome! I just love old glass, glad you are enjoying it too!

1 Like

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm
Focal Length: 220
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/125
ISO: 250

5 Likes

Love it !!!

1 Like

Crossed the border into Germany on saturday.
Found this waterfall.

sony a7rIII with a tamron 28-200 f/2.8-f5.6 at 28 mm f/2.8
ND8 and CPL
2.5" exposure
ISO: 100

2 Likes

Black Bear Lodge
My cabin in the Smoky Mountains.

Fuji X-Pro3
Viltrox 23mm f/1.4@2.8
1/10s at ISO 1250
Classic Chrome
Darktable 3.6

4 Likes

Indoor Karting at night. Was a real struggle without fast lenses, also tried to use my longer zooms at the short end to maximise light gathering.

Panasonic Lumix G9, 12-60 kit lens @12mm (24mm equiv)
3200 ISO, f/3.5, 1/40

Panasonic Lumix G9, 100-300 @100mm (200mm equiv)
16000 ISO, f/4.0, 1/160

All processed raws in darktable.

3 Likes

I want to go do that walk/hike!

I think they turned out great! I love the motion in the top one. While it is cool to have a fast enough lens/shutter speed combo to have no motion blur, the motion tells part of the story.

1 Like

Viktoriapark - Waterfall in Berlin (higher resolution)

Sony Alpha 65
Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
77 s, f/16

Here is a waterfall from me too. This is a photo I took in 2013 when I was doing more photography stuff. I hope to get into it again. I have reprocessed from RAW again with the newest Darktable version (just created a smaller version of it in GIMP, didn’t edit otherwise).

5 Likes

Love it! What time of day did you get this image? The light was in a perfect position.

Not gonna lie, the photo was a bit under underexposed and I have additionally helped a bit with the settings in Darktable. The “didn’t edit otherwise” was meant no additional edit with GIMP, hopefully this was not misunderstood.

It’s been a while and the time was 16:19:50 UTC (17:19 local time). I plan on going there next year after exactly 10 years passed since the photo and take another shot from same position.

1 Like

I’ve taken plenty of pictures that were under-exposed. The best part of digital is that when things like that happen, the image isn’t lost. I can’t wait to see the new shot!

Our winters can really get to you.

Cropped and applied Neopan film emulation by t3mujin in Darktable. Maybe some graduated filter somewhere, can’t remember.

5 Likes

The King
Cannon eos m with adapted c mount 35 mm 30second exposure 100iso f4ish

3 Likes

This is Seamus. Seamus prefers people who do not touch his milk.

T3mujin neopan film emulation, a touch on vignet and a graduated filter to stop the table from glowing. Total editing time about a minute. I love darktable.

6 Likes