Fedora 35 KDE Packages Will Not Execute

I’m trying to learn Fedora for the first time. It has been a rough and rocky experience for me. One of the main issues is that many of the AppImages, Flatpaks and Tar files don’t work properly.

Flatpak (dl.flathub.org)
Xnview - Installs, but when opened crashes after a short period of time

AppImage
CPU-X - Permissions are set as executable, but will not execute
Xnview - Permissions are set as executable, but will not execute

TAR
Xnview - Will not execute

@MichaelTunnell
@dasgeek
@jill_linuxgirl

I’m on Fedora 36 Gnome (custom install) ATM so there are some differences. Is this for XnviewMP?

The xnviewMP flatpak appears to be running ok.
Did you try running with:
flatpak run com.xnview.XnViewMP --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
or
flatpak run com.xnview.XnViewMP --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb

The xnviewMP app image does not work.
→ First error is:

/tmp/.mount_XnViewRoezMD/usr/XnView/XnView: error while loading shared libraries: libnsl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After installing libnsl-2 it changes to:

/tmp/.mount_XnView63BcqO/usr/XnView/XnView: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libkrb5.so.3: undefined symbol: k5_hashtab_free, version krb5support_0_MIT

Appears to correspond to this thread: XnView MP 0.99.6 won't open on Fedora 35 - XnView Software

CPU-X appimage appears to work on my machine, if you launch it from a command line do you get any additional information?

The tarball didn’t work, even after performing the workaround listed above it would core on startup.

Thanks hope that helps.

1 Like

I’m still new to Linux. This is still very new to me, I have much more GUI experience compared to using the terminal.

XnView - I just looked in the Dnsdragora package manager and could not find libnsl-2. I didn’t see any solution in the forum thread for running XnView. This is only a workaround and I don’t feel comfortable with the solution.

CPU-X - Here is the output of the terminal message…
/tmp/.mount_CPU-X-2eoz2K/AppRun.wrapped: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_module_open_full

TAR
XnView - What does core on startup mean? Is there any solution to running XnView as a tar?

I appreciate the suggestions though. It would be great to find an official solution to get Fedora to work
out of the box with AppImages.

@grumpey
@MichaelTunnell
@dasgeek

Hello, for CPU-X you don’t have to use “appimage” you can just install via “dnf install cpu-x” from fedora repository and It works fine.

Secondly, I installed "Xnview from “Flatpak”. I opened with Wayland parameter and force to use X11 and all of them works fine. It didn’t crash or no issue at all. Indeed appimage doesn’t work at all. Even developers in their forum said some workarounds, so they have to fix that as well. I recommend you to install Xnview from Flatpak.

I tested on Fedora 35 KDE and Fedora 36 KDE.

Also App images are works fine out of the box. But problem is “appimage itself” If something wrong with appimage, it is basically “appimage” problem. For example If I download “SubSurface Appimage” and just click to open, it just works. That 2 appimages you selected causing issue because how they built it. Even one of them admit that there is something wrong with it. I hope they will fix that appimages soon.

1 Like

It would crash

Maybe take a look at gwenview or gthumb for an image viewer?

What does “Wayland parameter ad without no extra parameter” and forcing X11 mean.
I assume that you mean logging out of the wayland session into X11. Anyway I really do
enjoy using AppImages because of the portability. Flatpaks don’t seem to be portable
in any way.
@onuralps

Thank you for the suggestion, but I’ll stay with XnView since I really need some of the features.
@grumpey

There was a typo* I meant for I opened in Wayland and X11 sessions. I understand you reasoning on AppImage.

I second this.

1 Like

Executing the AppImages in X11 does not make any difference.

@onuralps

I have considered the possibility of just installing CPU-X in the package manager. I’m just trying to keep my installation as clean and less prone to problems as possible. If I have to use the package manager
to install software then I will. Thank you for the suggestion.

@vinylninja

I respect your decision but right now you are having problems with your install by forcing yourself to use third party packages outside of Fedora and Fedora really works well right now. I am just pointing that out. Fedora is not the problem here.
Of course it is unfortunate that those AppImages etc are not working.

1 Like

Errors you having right now, won’t go away when you change your session X11 or to Wayland. Issues are coming from AppImages not from the Fedora or not from X11 nor Wayland. It purely problem on their end.

I understand, it’s a mystery why the all of the AppImages work fine with Kubuntu and not
Fedora KDE. Thank you for the clarification. I’m done with trying to execute these
AppImages for now.

@onuralps
@vinylninja

1 Like