Fedora 34. Better to use dual boot in regards to firmware updates?

I just purchased a MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB 15.6" A4DDR-212IN laptop (Windows pre installed). I’m an average computer user and a Linux newbie. I only know the basics of computer tech. I don’t know CLI.

I was planning to totally wipe out Windows and install Fedora 34 with Gnome 40. No dual boot. But someone said I should use dual boot and keep Windows cuz I’ll need Windows to do firmware updates.

Is this true? Firmware updates can’t be done within Fedora 34?

If I really need to keep Windows and use dual boot, that’s not a problem. I want to erase Windows just to get the extra space.

There’s 2 ways to do a BIOS update,

1. Place the BIOS update on a memory stick and install it using the BIOS user interface (Hit F2 during boot). Not every BIOS/Manufacturer supports this method.
  2. Use the manufacturer’s BIOS updater software. This software is generally Windows-only so you’ll need Windows.

I’d strongly recommend against dual boot because Microsoft has been known to cream dual boots from time to time and the added complexity sometimes causes trouble.

My favorite approach is removing the SSD that Windows is on and installing a new SSD for a fresh Linux install. There’s security benefits and it makes selling the laptop very easy because you just pop in the Windows one.

1 Like

Great suggestions. Thanks! I made some notes to follow up and research.