Falling Into a Focal Fossa Frenzy

Originally published at: Falling Into a Focal Fossa Frenzy - Front Page Linux

My Journey Back Home: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Ubuntu 20.04 LTS “Focal Fossa” Official Wallpaper. (Credit: Joey Sneddon on omgubuntu.co.uk) When Mark Shuttleworth, Founder and CEO of Canonical Ltd, made a shocking announcement in April 2017, I almost couldn’t believe my eyes. Apparently, I was not alone, as many in the greater Linux community were just…

Yay, that article was not on medium.com!

I think I read it first on Medium.

My experience is largely the same. I bought a new Dell desktop in 2008 and it came with Windows Vista. Vista was terrible and very slow, so I dual booted Vista with Ubuntu 8.04. However after changing the HDD and after loading the service packs, Vista became really usable. The original problems were caused by plain Vista without the service packs and by a very very slow 160 GB HDD from Seagate. My new 320 GB HDD from Samsung was much faster.
After retirement on 1-1-11 I dumped Vista completely and only used Ubuntu till now, with only two interruption: The first Unity release did not support my video card. Ubuntu 18.04 needed too much memory, since I had moved a lot of my activities to virtual machines. Till May 2019, I did run a 2008 HP dc5850 with 8 GB DDR2 and a Phenom II at 4 x 3.2 GHz, so memory was important. I moved to Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Mutiny and later to Xubuntu with a Planck Dock on the left.

Now I’m back at plain Ubuntu 20.04 on a 16 GB Ryzen 3 2200G. I love the way Gnome deals with workspaces, it is great in combination with full screen VMs. Since 19.04 I boot from zfs. I like that Ubuntu is integrating zfs, but I have serious doubts about their approach to zsys and the complex dataset structure they defined. They clearly have huge plans, but don’t have the man-power to implement it. They did forget about KISS.

1 Like