Episode 92 | This Week in Linux

6 Likes

Yay, welcome back. I, for one, have missed this show !!!

6 Likes

Yes, great to have the show back. Great content as always!

3 Likes

Thanks! I am so happy to be back with this as well! :smiley:

I have had some hectic times lately so I am glad I can start getting back to this show. :smiley:

3 Likes

@MichaelTunnell Thanks, enjoyed this as usual - so much covered :slight_smile: Have to say out of all of the news, Nitropad with potential support for Qubes sounds most interesting, though I’m guessing it’s quite pricey. Apparently Qubes is notoriously difficult to get up and running due to its complex hardware requirements, so a machine it’s certain to work on is quite something! Apart from that I’m also very excited to have a private cloud-based calendar available. I hope Proton succeed with this. I haven’t used Wine much as even on Windows almost all of the software I used was open source. I wonder if it’s compatible with Blu-ray players like PowerDVD?

1 Like

thank you for the kind words and feedback!

NitroPad isnt super expensive but it is using rather old thinkpad hardware apparently. x230 whatever that means.

Yea, I hope that ProtonCalendar is a good service as well.

Proton isnt really for applications though I suppose it might be possible, but WINE has improved a TON over the past couple of users so it might work with that app but I dont know for sure as I do not have a bluray player to test anything ont hat

1 Like

Proton is specifically optimized for games, and I don’t see why Valve would change that, so I would recommend sticking with vanilla WINE for applications. Thankfully, the improvements it makes get upstreamed, so vanilla WINE development has been zipping along as well.

1 Like