Encrypting ZFS on Ubuntu 20.04

Hey,

I came across the following blog post

I tried it in a VM but the Ubuntu 20.04 installer always crashes. Has anyone tried it on a real machine? Does it work or also crash?

1 Like

Well that’s a neat little hack. Good find.

Did you try it? Does it work for you? I will try it on real hardware tomorrow as in a VM it does not work for me.

Also I am pretty sure Ubuntu 20.10 will provide an option to use Zfs native encryption.

I haven’t tried it yet, but given my habit of wiping my laptop when I get bored it’s just a matter of time.

1 Like

Pretty cool! :nerd_face:

It works on my Dell Precision 7520 Laptop!

2 Likes

I will still stay with btrfs on luks for now, though, for two reasons.

First, I remember hearing on Big Daddy Linux that Martin Wimpress said that the openZFS project will make some changes to encryption soon, and this is then on the feature list for the next release. So one should just wait till October when Ubuntu 20.10 implements that.

Second, I have no clue how to access the encrypted rpool when something breaks and I am running a live iso for recovery or backup… with luks I am familiar using cryptsetup and chroot, etc.

Does anyone have a good reference on recovery commands for zfs disks? How do I mount the pools, how do I chroot into my system?

I haven’t read these particular tratises, but Michael W. Lucas, an author whom I enjoy, has written FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS and FreeBSD Mastery: Advanced ZFS. Obviously, these books aren’t tailored for Ubuntu users, but could be quite useful all the same.