Educated Linux | Linux Out Loud 05

This show will be live 2022-03-16T11:00:00Z

This week, Linux Out Loud chats Linux topics to teach.

Welcome to episode 05 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00 Introduction
01:23 FTC
04:44 Raspberry Pi Rack Bracket
11:08 Linux in Education
35:17 PSU Shopping
42:22 3D Fidget Button
45:02 Close

Wendy

Nate

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

1 Like

Hey @TheWendyPower, I know you were chatting about using git for the projects that your kids co-op (I think that’s how you spell that :sweat_smile:) will be working on. I actually worked with my wife to make some intro to git based detailed guides & she recorded the meeting for going over those guides with GWC (Girls Who Code) at UNC Charlotte. We mainly went over the basics of using git, and we used VScode (for a few reasons). We did this, because she is in charge of a web team for redesigning their website and no one knew how to use git (our college doesn’t really teach it to us).

We covered the entire setup process (installing vscode (personally for Linux I normally use the flatpak or snap (snap is my personal favorite) but I just linked to the official installer in the guide because the confinement of at least the flatpak can be weird for new people) + git (most Linux desktop distros have git installed by default (in my experience)), authenticating to GitHub (GH) (using GH’s integrated auth (creates a personal access token IIRC) so they can enable two factor authentication (2FA) and not have to worry about ssh keys & is platform agnostic), forking, cloning, modifying files and committing those modified files, branching, and pull requests (PRs). We didn’t go into any deep details, but mainly cover high level with step by step instructions so people could get familiar with how to use it.

I think that specifically the forking and branching + PRs would be really good for your use case. That would allow the kids to play around with whatever code you have in their own forks + branches, and then create PRs to submit the modified files to your upstream repo (or delete and start over again if they really mess stuff up :grin:). GH has also made it pretty easy to pull upstream changes, so once you merge their PRs they can pull in all the new changes from the web-ui.

So I don’t know if it’ll be of any help, but figured I’d drop the link so you could use them if you want :grin:

All the resources you should need are in the descriptions of the videos, and the first two are the git intro workshops (based on the titles at the time of me sending you the links):

If you end up using it, let me know if you have any issues or questions :blush:

1 Like

I love, love, love this so much! Thank you for sharing your experience. I’ll check out the video.

1 Like

Awesome :grin:, thanks for all the awesome content you put out on DLN BTW :partying_face:

Like I said, let me know if something I said in the guide wasn’t clear or should be fixed :blush:

1 Like