Ebook Viewers and Best Format for Archiving

Howdy Folks,

I know about Calibre but I have only used it for the rare format conversion or local copy to/from my old Kindle Paperwhite. I have a couple questions:

1. What do you use for managing and viewing ebooks on Linux or any platform and why?
  2. Should I archive/download all my Humble Bundle books in the larger Mobi (Kindle) format or the smaller, but more universal (right?) Epub format?

Edit: Just found Ubooquity mentioned in this post on home server setups. I am unsure about that Java 8 requirement, but, I suppose I could container it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Calibre. Comes with ebook-viewer, which I use for all my epub files (if I don’t read them on my Kobo).
Format depends on your E-book reader device. If you don’t have such a device, I would stick to pdf for the desktop. I always download epub as well as pdf.
So, pdf for desktop, epub for my Kobo.

PS: If you want to edit an E-book, have a look at Sigil.

2 Likes

Kinda the same here. Calibre is my standard tool. Couldn’t think of something else. (there’s no need to).
Formats are: pdf for the desktop and standard epub for my e-reader.
Which is some no brand thingy i bought years ago somewhere.

For managing ebooks calibre is really handy.
Viewing on the desktop I mainly do via a firefox plugin.
(saves me starting something else since FF is always running anyway)

As for the format, that depends on what your reader supports and as long as it isn’t drm’ed it doesn’t really matter as calibre can convert them.

I will be another one going exclusively with Calibre. It is such a great tool and manages all my eBooks on the desktop and I can forward them to my eBook reader.

I also find ePUBs and even pdf’s can be greatly read on the desktop using Calibre but I prefer to read them all on my device.

As for the format, I am all against DRM and usually prefer universal formats, therefor ePUB is a great choice for reader devices. Of course it also depends on the eBook reader. My PocketBook has support for all formats.

I used Calibre for several years, and really liked it (and it excels when you have a large library of ebooks).

I’ve been using Folio for the last few months, just for a small number of my favorite ebooks. I’m really appreciating its simplicity, and thoughtful, modern UX. Calibre seems much more busybodied, in comparison to Folio.

I find Calibre very busy too. It seems like the clear go to for managing and transferring ebooks but I’m not sure about reading.

Do you have a link for Folio or did you mean Foliate?

Oops, yes, that’s what I meant, foliate.

1 Like

I currently read ePubs using OverDrive on my 7th gen Fire HD 8. The non-DRM ePub files fit my philosophy. The tablet isn’t quite as nice for reading as my dedicated Kobo e-ink reader, but the color tablet is more flexible for other purposes. (It was a sad day when I broke my Kobo. I plan to get another Kobo as soon as I can justify the cost.) I’ve used Calibre to convert formats, but didn’t enjoy reading books with it.

I don’t want to derail this thread too much but along side Calibre and Foliate what are the options for e-readers themselves? For one, I’m surprised they still cost as much as they do, in Canada every device is 30% more expensive so that’s no help. For two, I spent the past college semester using an online book service (Vital Source) and it was terrible. The amount of screen staring for Zoom classes, book reading and then programming was miserable.

Do e-readers make this any better? Are any of them open-ish?

Then I would just open a new thread. It makes sense.

I enjoy my E Ink reader but they are indeed still relatively expensive and there are almost no open devices so you have to pick what suits your needs.
I own one of the more recent PocketBooks and the screen is great for reading even after staring the whole day on my laptop. The reason to have an e-reader for me is to get away from the laptop screen and to a more comfortable reading position for all my e-papers and eBooks. It has also night light.

Foliate is cool, especially when combined with Calibre-Web. This allows you to access ebooks stored on a central server and download them.