Docker install of BudgE

Hi, trying to install BudgE using the docker files listed here. I have a docker-compose file, and docker says it’s running. nginx files pass the nginx -t test. Pinging budge.home.local gets results.

But if I go to 192.168.1.xxx:8081 [custom port in Docker compose], I get ‘unable to connect.’ Going to budge.home.local gives me a 502 Bad Gateway from nginx.

Did you get this figured out? I’m wondering if you might need additional configuration to use a custom port like that, maybe setting up a forwarding rule in your router or at the very least making sure your router doesn’t have firewall rules for devices on the local network.

---
version: "2.1"
services:
  BudgE:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/BudgE
    container_name: BudgE
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=America/New_York
    volumes:
      - /path/to/BudgE/config:/config
    ports:
      - 80:80
      - 443:443
    restart: unless-stopped

Did you try with plain old ports 80 and 443 like in their example config?

Where ports is, i have 8081:8081

I have nginx pointing to it, and also my PiHole (does my local DNS) to redirect.

I would start with a more standard configuration, with 80 and 443, just to test if you can get it up. If it works fine with 80/443, chances are the issue is with the custom port configuration. If it is still broken, the problem is something else.

What was your method for configuring this?

You may need to change the listen port for Nginx, such as is described here: Changing Nginx Port in Linux - GeeksforGeeks

Sorry, it’s listening to port 80. The BudgE setup is on localhost:8081. I think I have something wrong in the YAML file. docker ps shows it running but the ports for

firefly-iii: 0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp, :::8080->8080/tcp
BudgE: 80/tcp, 443/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8081->8081/tcp, :::8081->8081/tcp

So this creates subdirectories /nginx/site-confs with a default file. I messed with that, my nginx conf for it, and the docker-compose.yml and couldn’t get it up and going, so i don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Do you have Nginx on a Docker-compose as well? If so, you may be best off adding the BudgE configuration as one of the services of that config.

Post the .yml to the thread so we can take a look, as long as it doesn’t have any personal details or anything.

version: "2.1"
services:
  budge:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/budge:latest
    container_name: budge
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=America/New_York
    volumes:
      - /home/user/budgE:/config
    ports:
      - 8081:8081
    restart: unless-stopped

I think the volumes portion is messed up partially. Nginx is not in a docker, no.

I think you need to fix the Nginx config to get it to work.

sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/default

Under the #Default server configuration line, there should be a section to specify listen ports.

server {
	listen 8081 default_server;
	listen [::]:8081 default_server;

Restart Nginx:

sudo systemctl restart nginx.service

Even if the BudgE config isn’t quite right, if you go to the Nginx server’s IP address with the port number you specified in a web browser on your local network you should at least get the “Welcome to Nginx!” test page

That passed nginx -t but still gave an error when trying to restart nginx.

Job for nginx.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status nginx.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I still don’t get why budgE has a different port syntax is docker ps -a
budgE: 80/tcp, 443/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8081->8081/tcp, :::8081->8081/tcp
firefly-iii: 0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp, :::8080->8080/tcp
jellyfin: somehow it’s blank and doesn’t show anything, but I know it’s on 8096

What is the output of systemctl status nginx.service?

It is working right now, because I changed the file back to standard.