Do you Trust Microsoft? If not, why not (keeping it civil), and what would it take for MS to earn your trust?

Totally understand this attitude and on a personal level that is where my computing habits fall. Let me point out a couple areas that explain why am a huge advocate of the idea that Microsoft could make things better.

First I provide (and support) Linux laptops to many people who may have one particular use case for one particular software that is non-negotiable. Microsoft could work towards making it easier to run Win64 software on Linux boxes (they might even be the ones selling the software). Not necessarily making cross platform applications (my preference) but making it easier to download a setup file (.exe or .msi), install, and run that program.

Second if they worked to create standards for hardware that made it easier to create cross platform drivers think how big that would be. Maybe so printer subsystem cooperation that meant it didn’t take 2 hours to get 25% of my printers capability working.

I’m not saying they ever would do these things, but they are the 800 pound gorilla and it would be possible to see a scenario where a little help could benefit their bottom line.

1 Like

I think giving more substantial projects to the community.
I don’t know 100% the details so don’t quote me, but giving us exFat. (I don’t think it was truly open sourced license, but rather Microsoft won’t pursue royalties).
Microsoft basically threw out a low hanging fruit that doesn’t serve the community that well.

With Microsoft heading to a more SaaS based company, it doesn’t seem so far fetched to open license some projects if you want a self hosted and community driven experience while having a professional and Microsoft backed option sounds feasible.

As I understand this question is “does Microsoft really love Linux?”. Well, at the moment, it does a little bit, but who knows? Soon there may be a new CEO and “Linux is a cancer” philosophy will be back.

I would trust MS more if they started moving more towards Linux by making more MS software, specifically Office, available on Linux. As a subscriber I’d love to be able to use Office on Linux. While Office 365 is there, Access isn’t and that it is an important part of my work flow. Ideally I want Windows to eventually become a Linux distro and open-source.

On the other hand I’m also concerned that Windows becoming a Linux distro would mean that Linux becomes the primary target for hackers and other bad actors.

I follow you regarding the o365 services - it would also make my life easier integrating with the mainstream office product.

1 Like

Linux is my operating system of choice - because it gives me ‘choice’. Linux respects the fact that my computer belongs to me - and should be under my control at all times and with all decisions.

At work, I use Windows. Microsoft needs to treat their users better before I trust them again.

• Windows Updates are breaking things too often (see Barnacles Nerdgasm recent video)
  • Telemetry is spyware - stop it. Respect my privacy.
  • Solitaire, Candy Crush, MSN Weather, etc. are junk - stop pushing things we don’t ask for
  • A clean install should not be constantly chatting back to Microsoft servers
  • Much of the world is not constantly connected to the Internet - quit pushing us to have Microsoft accounts for login
  • If I don’t want a feature, I should be able to completely remove it without registry hacking - Cortana, OneDrive, Store, IE, Edge, xbox, gamebar
  • Stop forcing updates - I can’t tell you how many times I’ve see a workstation or server update and reboot while it is being used

It won’t be easy for Microsoft to reverse decades of shady decisions. I think it is possible, but they need to start earning my trust by giving control back to the users.

5 Likes

Back in 2005, one could go into Fry’s Electronics, and purchase a refurbished HP tower with Lindows (a defunct Distro I am currently working to bring back) installed. I am not sure if they still offer Linux distros on refurbished units. I think Dell is offering systems with Linux installed.

On the podcast, the point was pretty well made that it would take substantial resources for MS to make many of their apps run natively on Linux. The suggestion was made that instead, MS could work to help projects like WINE and Proton to work and to perform better with their apps. That seemed like a more workable compromise to me.

I think the question is more, how can Microsoft make it so we don’t have to trust them?

1 Like

If you pay attention to what MS is doing empirically, they are building a walled garden for their products to run only on Windows 10 now. So clearly they are full of it.

I think I will compile the newest version of Wine this week and give Office 2019 (Windows 10 only) as test run on it to see what happens.

1 Like

I’ll be curious to hear what you find with Office 2019 and Wine. I’m a Codeweavers advocate and use Crossover, but 2019 won’t work. I’ve been able to get the current Office 365 version installed, but it won’t activate as the auth process is still broken and personal/work accounts seem unable to sign in properly.

1 Like

Just tried my own compiled copy (4.0.2 Stable). Running the Steup.exe for Office 2019 returns;

wine: Bad EXE format for E:\Setup.exe

I seemed to have better luck with their repos.

Screenshot%20from%202019-10-07%2020-46-09

After they threatened gab,ai with shuttering their Azure service if they did not remove a posting by a user of theirs (which did not violate any TOS), I am going with

NOT NO, BUT F NO.

This story on Bleeping Computer seems relevant:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/research-finds-microsoft-edge-has-privacy-invading-telemetry/

1 Like