DLN Xtend - Episode 12

DLN Xtend - Episode 12

In the weekly update segment, Eric talks about testing and making videos about the preview releases of Manjaro’s upcoming 19.0 release as well as KDE Plasma 5.18 Beta on Kubuntu. Nate tells us about using Windscribe VPN, managing Kontact, and a hardware fail with a vintage power supply.

We get some listener feedback from GOK via the Destination Linux Discourse forum about SAP and SUSE Linux.

Our community focus this week touches on a topic also discussed in the DLN forum about domain registrars.

On Linux for Everyone this week, Jason Evangehlo interviewed Philip Mueller of Manjaro and we discuss how smaller hardware manufacturers like Tuxedo Computers are filling a void left by their larger competitors.

Destination Linux brought up the topic of Linus Torvalds’ response to a question about the Linux kernel and ZFS support. We had a few differing thoughts on the subject.

Finally, this week marks the first episode of Destination Linux Network’s newest show, Hardware Addicts.

That’s all for this week. Be sure to stop by DLN’s Discourse, Telegram, Mumble and Discord servers to continue the discussion. More information about this show and other Destination Linux Network shows and creators (like Eric and Nate for example) is available at destinationlinux.network.

Until next time, see yas!

3 Likes

User ID GOK = initial first name and state of residence. At least I didn’t go full Heinlein, if you’re a fan, with GROK -

At home I have a fanless ASUS PN40 (Celeron) running Mint from an M.2 SSD with all my music on its 2.5" SSD. Fanless = silent. It’s connected to my “media center” and large screen HD (1920 x 1080) TV. About as low end as computers come, ASUS claims 7W at idle, Intel ARK shows 6W TDP for Celeron processor. New 2019 Celeron N4129 with 4 cores (4 threads, so immune to mitigations related to HyperThreading ? ) has burst of 2.6 GHz and same 6W TDP.

ARM may be competitive, but take a hit from running emulation layer?

Over in the Hardware Addicts first episode I posted about my experience buying a high end Mac laptop thinking it would speed processing RAW. Oopsie. Forgot to mention that the photo software I was using not only didn’t benefit from higher cores and threads, it wasn’t helped by the discrete graphics. I mentioned there that Puget Systems actually tests creative software on varied high end systems and reports what’s likely the best configuration for specific uses. Only place I’ve seen such analysis. It goes far beyond reviews that focus on video game frame rate -

1 Like

That great to know. I am always looking for actual benchmarks to see what’s worth pursuing. I’m not a gamer and synthetic benchmarks are generally meaningless (to me?) but it’s what I usually have to rely on since that’s the best information I could find.