DLN Xtend 19: OBS Plugins, Video Editors, Folding@Home, Limiting Internet Usage for Children

1 Like

I wish there was a decent way of folding @ home on my old game consoles. My PCā€™s are wimpy and expensive compared to 5 Xbox 360s I could get ahold of these days.

1 Like

Thanks for doing the part on limiting Internet usage for childrenā€¦

1 Like

Isnā€™t there a way to install a desktop OS on such devices?

From what I found out itā€™s such a royal pain and very hacky. The projects are mostly abandoned as well.

I suppose that makes sense, given what the state of Xbox emulators on the desktop.

@EricAdams Your remarks about Linux Mint; were they specific to Mint Debian Edition? This was unclear in the episode, although maybe implied since initially you mentioned you were trying out LMDE for the BDL challenge.

Iā€™m using Linux Mint 19.3, that is, the Ubuntu derived version. Itā€™s worth noting that:

1. ā€“names-only does work with Apt
  2. I have Firefox 75 from the regular repo. not the 68.7 ESR version
  3. I have several PPAs in use on my system

I have no experience with the Debian version as of yet which is why I ask about this, perhaps these are Debian/MintDebian shortcomings?

That is Debian specific and will be the reason why LMDE uses it though I always thought they were using the regular release of Firefox instead of Debianā€™s choice with ESR, that is disappointing. Even MXLinux uses regular Firefox but then people might appreciate the ā€˜stabilityā€™ factor of ESR.

The Ubuntu derived version of Linux Mint of course is different in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried again on just plain Mint 19.3 and I get this:

If I use /usr/bin/apt it works. Thatā€™s what I was referring to when I mentioned it on the podcast. Not sure how it works for you unless are explicitly running apt (/usr/bin) or made some change. Let me know if Iā€™m missing something.

Regular LM does have the newest version of FF because itā€™s based on Ubuntu. LMDE, being based on Debian, doesnā€™t have it in the repo. There are ways around this but itā€™s extra work. PPAs work on regular Mint as well so yes, those two are related to LMDE specifically.

I hadnā€™t looked at Mint in several weeks and I am always impressed at how well put together it is. They do an amazing job and it is remarkable.

Thanks for the clarification Eric!

For me, this works

apt-cache search --names-only

Itā€™s interesting for me to hear other opinions about Mint since Iā€™ve never really delved into the minute details, despite having used it since version 8 or so. Most of those opinions seem to be negative, Michaelā€™s especially, but itā€™s a fun exercise to look into the problems and learn about everything a little bit more. It also makes me wonder if I should move on from Mint, if Iā€™m being held back from Power User status by the distro or something.

Mint really is a stalwart distribution. Itā€™s not surprising that youā€™ve been using it so long and not needed to dig deeper. Itā€™s kind of the point I guess. :+1:

1 Like

Mint doesnā€™t disguise itself as something other than Linux to keep from scaring away your grandma. If you know what your doing, Mint, works just like any other distro. Itā€™s fascinating how it gets the ā€œnot for adultsā€ label though. Plus, itā€™s green, the two best distros come come in green.

1 Like

I think @CubicleNate would agree with that!

1 Like