Destination Linux 195: Interview with Fedora's Project Lead, Matthew Miller

4 Likes

This was a fun episode, great to hear someone who loves the project, and getting you guys (even Ryan so pro-Arch) interested to. I may have to put it in a VM and see what it’s about.

1 Like

As someone who has been Red Hat and Fedora adjacent for almost my entire Linux journey (very briefly flirting with RH 5.2 big box copy, briefly flirting with RH 7.3 included in a Linux book, eventually Yellow Dog Linux during my PPC years, and BLAG Linux and GNU and keeping BLAG “up-to-date”-ish by hand using the wonderfully formatted and easily accessible SPEC files and SRPMs during the Fedora 14 to 28 years.) I have to say it is a great distribution. I’ve already been enjoying my time with the Fedora 33 beta (even on GNOME 3!) and am probably going to make the switch back from my brief stint in Parabola land. (My “I’m amicably breaking up with the FSF and GNU” rant removed here to stay on topic.)

Great release Fedora team.

Edit: This is the first DL I’ve ever watched, does Noah always have the Star Trek TOS sexy closeup filter on or was this just a technical hiccup?

1 Like

I am working on switching to Fedora KDE. I have not used it in a long time so I am curious what the experience will be like. @Conan_Kudo tricked me, i mean convinced me, to try Fedora 33 so I hope to do that soon. Turns out trying to run a media network is pretty time consuming lol

that sounds cool . . . I am curious what the rant was though maybe that should be in a separate thread as you mentioned. :smiley:

As for the camera issue for Noah, the lighting in Noah’s room created that weird glare effect. We made improvements in the next episode of 196 and we have more improvements planned for that. It looks much better now in the next episode.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, some cool insights in Fedora in this episode! I have to say I’ve been curious about it for a while now and may even elect to give it a run on some hardware soon rather than just running it in a VM as I have been for over a year, though I’ve not really pushed the system in any way. When I did the upgrade from 32 this week everything seems to have worked but it didn’t do an in-place conversion from ext4 to btrfs, which maybe I shouldn’t have expected. I do think I’ll do a clean install and see how that runs.

Very interesting review of Jitsi and other apps, especially via NextCloud, which i am curious to run. I notice the jitsi.org website has been under consistent development and in last few weeks has added a lobby mode for extra security and now runs in Firefox too. Previously it was only working in Chromium for me.

I do like the Kanban approach to task management and wonder how SuperProductivity’s approach is the same or different. Not tried it yet.