Destination Linux 194: Interview with Marcin Jakubowski of Open Source Ecology

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the site for Marcinā€™s Open Source Ecology: https://www.opensourceecology.org/

Really interesting interview even though not necessarily ā€˜Linuxā€™.

1 Like

Iā€™ve listened to the show, and i must say, this is a great idea. Reminds me of the 60ā€™s.
Although itā€™s possible to do what theyā€™re doing, i think for now, this can only be done in the U.S.
For instance, where i live, Flanders Belgium, thereā€™s no way you can ā€œorderā€ letā€™s say, a farming machine, or a house and build it yourself. There are tons of legal restrictions that will tell you that you canā€™t do that. And Iā€™m afraid that counts for the whole of Europe. Europe protects itā€™s manufacturers (which in turn pay politicians for their ā€œsupportā€) and keep initiatives like these at bay.
I fully support the idea and methods described in the idea of ose, because they work.
ā€œIf you canā€™t fix it, you donā€™t own itā€, could be the battle cry for this initiative.
I think that if we want to have an open source ecology in Europe, we have to start with the politicians first. And they get influenced by the people. (Although thatā€™s not entirely true. especially where i live, but thatā€™s something for another topic).
Iā€™d like to see this take hold in Europe as well. It would change so many things.

Thanks everyone - excellent show and a top project to highlight via fascinating interview with Marcin! I had a similar experience as a research student, leading me to move into teaching for a few years as I could see the impact in society of work I was doing literally on a daily basis :slight_smile: Now that Iā€™m looking to break back into IT development I do have my eye on a number of projects to contribute to in medium term, and this is one of them :+1: