Destination Linux 171: Jill of LinuxGameCast, Fedora 32, Ubuntu 20.04 & More!

6 Likes

For Jill and the way back machine. Remember this? Alvy Ray, and Wall B.

3 Likes

Thank you Lulu!!! Yes, yes, that is one of my favorite animations! :grinning:. And I have shown that to my students over the years when talking about the history of animation! :smile:

2 Likes

This was a great episode.
I love how @jill_linuxgirl sounds like an excited young girl and then when the words “back in the 70’s” came out of her mouth, I was blown away. :slight_smile:

Good job!

3 Likes

Ahhwww, thank you @Strit!! You made my day!!! :grinning::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:

3 Likes

@Lulu, here is one of my all time favorite classic animated movies from 1977!! :grinning:

3 Likes

You crack me up! Ralph Bakshi.

1 Like

Ralph Bakshi. Wow. Dude had some very particular fetishes, and no apparent qualms about exploring them in animated form. Although his Lord of the Rings interpretation was pretty cool at the time.

2 Likes

Great episode. Loved Jill’s enthusiasm and sheer delight - bought back a lot of memories for me :slight_smile:

All your base are belong to us - OMG haven’t heard that one in ages!

1 Like

Wow! Thanks, everyone :slight_smile: I think this goes down as one of the all-time favourite episodes, for so many reasons! First of all, Jill comes across as absolutely delightful - so caring and fun and knowledgeable too. A great representative of the Linux community who I certainly intend to lookup for further content! I was waiting for mention of the Commodore Pet, Vic 20 and C64. The Pet was the first computer that fascinated me when I would be sitting on the floor in primary school looking up at what it could do and being taught that computers would be changing our world in the future. My first home computer was a C64. Loved it. Many of the computers Jill mentions, I have memories of - it’s good to know there are Linux lovers who also have recall of such devices. I also started my Linux journey with Slackware, though luckily installed it from a CD. My first ever Unix installation I did from floppies. I think it spanned about twenty or so…!

I had an odd habit that I liked to watch every episode of a show in sequence, so if I missed one, I went off the whole programme. Boxsets were made for me, and are now the only way I watch TV, actually. I remember going to a Star Trek exhibition at the Science Museum in London, when only the original and Next Generation existed. As a fan of Amiga (my next computer after C64) I remember being fascinated to learn that some of the graphics for Next Generation were done using an Amiga. Packages such as Corel Draw also bring back memories :slight_smile:

I’m quite the fan of @MichaelTunnell’s show and will hold his preference in high regard when I am able to afford a Star Trek boxset exploration. For now, I never did finish all the (old school) X Files episodes, so they come first :slight_smile:

Like Noah, I also ran RedHat prior to Fedora and ran Fedora Core 1 for some time too. Recently I found Fedora 31 wouldn’t upgrade smoothly to 32 on my VM, though 29->30->31 were fine, from what I recollect. On this topic, how are things going with CentOS Stream? I found that had update problems (in my VM) recently too? Nobody mentioned it in connection with IBM. I know a lot more about Debian than Fedora, but I think I’d probably have to use Fedora or Manjaro if I could ever afford a brand-new laptop to run Linux on. Let us see!

1 Like

What a great show! Just found you all here over the weekend looking for Linux podcasts, glad I did!
The discussion of Star Trek and its various incarnations struck me as somewhat of a metaphor for Linux itself. A common core with different characteristics that appeal to different watchers/users for different reasons, even down to the eternal question of which version is the best one for beginners.

1 Like