Destination Linux 169: Dustin Krysak of Ubuntu Budgie, What is Open Source software?, Qt toolkit

On this week’s episode of Destination Linux we deep dive into the topic of open-source, is it still important or should we welcome proprietary with open arms? Qt Company and KDE’s future, Raspberry Pi projects, and Intel get’s a boost. All this and more coming up right now on Destination Linux.

2 Likes

I know I’m way behind on shows, but what a fantastic episode - thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I loved a recap of so many of the benefits of open source, and the discussion of opting for a combination if necessary, though preferring open source if possible when the option is available. I do sometimes struggle to get people on-side when using open tools, though I find that if I persist and they use the tools I recommend (e.g. Telegram instead of WhatsApp, Jitsi instead of Skype, LibreOffice instead of MS Office, Firefox instead of anything else and of course, Linux instead of Windows) they are pleasantly surprised at how good my recommendations turn out to be :slight_smile:

I’m on very low income currently, but have no wish to move to proprietory necessarily when times are easier financially. The biggest productivity boost for me with open source, apart from the high quality of the software, comes from being able to quickly install it on all of the computers I and my family members use without expensive time consuming licensing issues. Having standard tools on all of one’s machines saves an awful lot of time and hassle, I find. Besides the fact that I’ve been coding since I was ten and am still fascinated with the code I can have full access to :slight_smile:

Very funny discussion of shredding in light of advanced file systems and hardware devices, too!