Crackin' Passwords | Linux Out Loud 38

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about how variety is the spice of Linux.

Welcome to episode 38 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:02:17 Almost Game of the Week
00:08:13 Wayland Update
00:10:52 Pi Order
00:17:18 Crackin' Passwords
00:35:53 Game of the Week or Not
00:36:47 Cubical Labs Update
00:44:43 More Games
00:53:42 Close

Main Topic

Matt

Wendy

Our sponsors:

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattTDN)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

Great episode as always. Thanks to LOL and DLN for introducing me to the idea of a password manager a couple years ago. FYI with Walking Dead being GOTW. Walking Dead Season 1 and 2 and one the DLC’s are on sale on fantical 1 dollar.

1 Like

Bitwarden has a password strength checking tool on their website: Password Strength Testing Tool | Bitwarden

mattisagianttool and nateisanarchuser are both considered strong passwords but nateisanarchuser would take “centuries” to crack instead of “23 years” making it the better choice.

vid

1 Like

Graph I posted mentioned by Wendy:

Methodology:

“The data was based on how long it would take a consumer-budget hacker to crack your password hash using a desktop computer with a top-tier graphics card. Two years later – quite a long period of time in processing power improvement terms – we’re long overdue for an update.”

From what I gather this applies to cracking passwords stolen from online services assuming they were stored as a securely produced hash.

If anyone wants to see what their hashed passwords look like in a Linux system:

sudo cat /etc/shadow
1 Like

@mattdln mentioned that when we were recording 39. I now have season two as well. Thanks for the heads up, if Matt isn’t giving my game recommendations someone has to!

Oh goodness, that is the BEST thing I’ve seen this month!

Thank you!