CES 2020, Disaster Recovery Tips, Fallback Safe Distros?, Firefox | Destination Linux 156

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using VirtualBox. Iā€™d be interested in hearing more details of your conversion to libvirt and virt-manager. Did you run both virtualization products on the same PC during your conversion? Can a virtual machine be converted from VirtualBox to virt-manager?

3 Likes

@dasgeek Major retailers and manufacturers have long ā€œconspiredā€ to offer ā€œspecialā€ models. Consumer Reports thought the purpose was to make comparison-shopping difficult. That probably explains Best Buy selling an HP laptop that ā€œdoesnā€™t existā€ on HPā€™s own site.

Which doesnā€™t answer why it wonā€™t boot Linux.

A friend recently bought a Dell Inspiron at Costco. Great deal, came with NVMe SSD. He wanted to install Linux and it just wouldnā€™t. His laptop chassis had space for a SATA SSD, so he disconnected the NVMe drive, added a SATA, and set that to boot. Which worked.

To sell Optane drives Intel developed a default RAID configuration. Optane made sense with HDDs, none with NVMe, but the configuration persists. Winders somehow manages to boot successfully in that configuration where, apparently, the Linux kernel doesnā€™t.

Hereā€™s a Dell link that MIGHT be applicable and helpful. Though Iā€™m presuming the HP went back to Best Buy.

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Precision-7720-Disable-Raid-and-set-dual-boot/td-p/7355151

@MichaelTunnell I know weā€™re all of us all in about privacy, but as I opened the DestinationLinux.network ā€œportalā€ page today I glanced up and noticed uBlock Origin is reporting 32 what for lack of a better term Iā€™ll call ā€œtrackers,ā€ doubleclick, google, youtube ???

this is due to the video embeds of the YouTube videos. I set it to use the nocookie domain but something else is a miss. I will have to look into this.

1 Like

Hi Folks,
Iā€™ve just listened to DLP #156 and have a couple of questions.
Firstly I second OldFart and would like to see more on this. Iā€™ve recently switched to Ubuntu mate 19.10 and attempted installing. Previously Iā€™ve always just installed Oracleā€™s Virtualboxā€¦ Upshot is I tried virt manager but it failed with the libvertd install. Iā€™ve searched, but canā€™t find much on this issue. Any suggestions on a guide to follow to getting this to work?
Second question is around the new Dell XPS 13. I like that its got a webcam up top, but from what I can see, it doesnā€™t appear to have USB slot. How would one install a distro? via bootable SD card?
I do like the fact that it can be delivered with ubuntu pre-installed, but I would like to install my own.

Keep up the good work!

Scooter (on my thinking stool) :slight_smile:

regarding the XPS it looks like it has 2 USB-C ports so in theory with a dongle a regular USB-A flashdrive should work to installing a distro.

Thanks Michael,
Perhaps one of these might work? I really like this laptop, it may very well be my next purchase.

Iā€™ve also managed to get virtual machine manager working. So far Iā€™m liking that as well. Installing Fedora after listening to BDL

For Slack alternatives, while I havenā€™t used it myself yet, Taiga looks like a very good, Open Source solution and is gonna by my first try if I ever start any bigger project. Managing non-private projects is paid (5$/month), but if thatā€™s a problem one can always self-host it.

What problems did Noah have with Jellyfin? I have mine setup via Docker, but itā€™s not on all the time and itā€™s only available locally. I was surprised he had so many issues he gave up!

1 Like

Thanks again, everyone. Really enjoyed this. @dasgeek Ryan, I completely agree with you on what youā€™ve said about Microsoft products on Linux and what you say about NVidia (versus AMD). Thanks also for supplementing what Noah mentioned about libvirt just a while back. Iā€™m looking at moving all my VMs from Virtualbox onto libvirt. My early experience of this using the very basic Gnome Boxes was excellent. The worst thing Iā€™ve found about Virtualbox is how guest additions keep breaking on kernel updates, especially on fast-moving distros such as Fedora. I also agree with Noah on how useful Fedora is. CentOS Stream is also turning out to be quite handy, as Iā€™ve mentioned elsewhere on our forums.

Hey @OldFart Iā€™ve got the same question now. Have you tried following this?
link describing vbox to virt-manager migration
It says it takes a while. I imagine it would need some disk space too. I havenā€™t tried this out yet, but I think I will when I get some time. I donā€™t really have much on my VMā€™s, I pretty much only use these to tinker with new distros. So doing a complete re-install in virt-manager wouldnā€™t be that bad for me.
I can understand that some folks may have a alot on their VMā€™s.

Iā€™d feel more secure if Iā€™d know if anyoneā€™s used the clonehd command successfully before to get things going in virt-manager.
Thereā€™s more about this command here and here
Hope that helps, let us know how you go

@Scooter and @OldFart, if you need advanced functionality out of your VMā€™s, virt-manager is definitely the way to go, but GNOME Boxes is perfectly up to simple tasks. No need to be on GNOME eitherā€”it works just fine for me on bspwm.

Thanks for the links, @Scooter .

That first article is 8 years old, but it is close enough to the current syntax. I had to struggle a bit with reducing my virtual disks first. After that, the clonehd worked surprisingly well. Converted a Windows-10 vm and a Devuan vm. There are a few features that I havenā€™t gotten to work yet. virt-manager could use a ā€˜helpā€™ button for access to the documentation. Most of the documentation that Iā€™m finding on the internet seems to be out of date.

My converted machines lost several capabilities:

• cut-and-paste clipboard
  • video resolution and auto sizing
  • shared filesystem subdirectory with host machine

I might have lost more features, and I might find fixes to the features that appear to be missing.
Iā€™m out of time to play with it tonight, but Iā€™m not giving up.
. . .
My update on 01/21/2020:
spice-guest-tools from spice-space.org does add bi-directional clipboard to Windows 10 guest.
However, their webdav add-in to read-write a shared folder on the linux host is cumbersome compared to VirtualBox since it only works while a virt-viewer session is open. I shouldnā€™t be surprised that the conversion broke Windows Activation. The activation problem might also explain why the video resolution and resizing doesnā€™t work. This activation mess might be enough hassle to force me back to VirtualBox.

Didnā€™t have much time to play with my linux guest machine. The 9p filesystem mounted the folder shared from the linux host, but I havenā€™t found a configuration that grants the correct permissions.
I assume that I need to install spice video drivers into the guest, but I havenā€™t figured out how to do that yet.

1 Like

Nice work OldFart.
I agree there is so much old doco that doesnā€™t quite work for me either
Glad this was helpful for you.
:beers:

I donā€™t really have a need for it but I tried Mattermost just to play around with it and it seems like a reasonable, open source alternative to Slack.

2 Likes

agreed, Mattermost is the closest to an alternative to Slack at this point. There are many others but Mattermost is the closest.

I havenā€™t tried Taiga yet though.

2 Likes

Iā€™d also like some help setting up VMā€™s in Virtual Machine Manager. At first glance itā€™s very plain and confusing.

Hi Definitive_Linux,
Searching Youtube for virt-manager was helpful to me. My installation is working pretty well for me now, but Iā€™m no expert.

Have fun with it.

1 Like