Budgie Development

Joshua is working on menu / programming etc.

1 Like

Can’t wait until the Fedora OSTree version. The XFCE fans are chugging along creating their OSTree spin for Fedora and I can’t wait to see easy, immutable Budgie.

1 Like

So, a gaming spin and a budgie spin. :slight_smile:

Might have to get back into Fedora.

I’m not kidding. Fedora has killed my interest in distro-hopping. I’ve been running Fedora Kinoite Rawhide on my main system since May and it’s perfect for me.

I’m running the latest KDE Plasma, newer kernel most of the time than Arch Linux, and I’m using containers and flatpaks for everything and it is the best experience I’ve ever had on the Linux desktop.

I’m sure if I had unique, cutting edge, or other eldritch hardware I might be singing a different tune but … wow.

I used to think Fedora performed well and OS was always responsive. Except I always hated RPM.

Then a few years ago booting Fedora from the ISO on my legacy Nvidia laptop left me with a black screen of death and I lost all interest in it.

Now my Nvidia hardware is a bit more modern, and Fedora has softened its approach to proprietary hardware, it seems a good time to give it another go.

Could you elaborate on your setup and it sounds very interesting.

Ah! So actually in the last couple weeks I learned more about how Fedora operates and it wasn’t how i assumed it does.

I learned that Fedora ships both the latest kernel and the latest KDE desktop on the stable Fedora 36 so I actually wouldn’t do this again and as soon as they branch Fedora 37 I’ll probably just rebase to that and use 37 until 38 exists and so on.

That being said what I did (but wouldn’t do again because it isn’t necessary to enjoy the latest kernel and KDE) was:

1. Install Fedora Kinoite 36
  2. Run rpm-ostree upgrade && systemctl reboot
  3. After reboot I just ran rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/kinoite and systemctl reboot
  4. Then ran flatpak remote-add --user --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo to enable Flathub and then I finally rebooted and installed all my flatpaks.

Like I said though, this all isn’t really necessary and I did it because I didn’t understand that Fedora keeps its components really current. Now I’d just install Fedora 36 Kinoite, enable flathub, and go to town.

1 Like

Sounds like an interesting approach definitely. I might try Fedora Silverblue or Kinoite and get off of my standard approach to distributions, at least for a while.

State of Budgie, July

Budgie 10.6.3 Released

Budgie 10.6.3 is the third minor release in the 10.6 series of our Budgie Desktop environment, introducing improvements to our Workspace Applet and initial support for GNOME 43!