Brave creating it's own search engine

After hearing from another Linux advocate here on this site that Brave replaces ads on websites with their own ads, I think Iā€™ll stick to DuckDuckGo for my search need for now.

Brave has not earned my trust. YMMV.

Iā€™m glad you brought that up, I donā€™t use Brave but if someone doesnā€™t do a deep dive I probably will at some point.

I think the time when we could just pick the ā€œrightā€ browser/search choice has come to an end, itā€™s just a mess of unpleasant trade-offs now. I LOVE duckduckgo.com for example but it can only show me what big tech gives them.

1 Like

I love it too, but it does make me search, um, longer ( if thatā€™s the right term ) to find what Iā€™m usually looking for.

Duck Duck Go uses Google ads.

I find it ironic that alot of the that people flee Google but donā€™t seem to mind that.

As well as the analytics tracking in the name of ā€œimprovingā€ the service. DuckDuckGo ā€” Spyware Watchdog

What are they ā€˜improving,ā€™ exactly? They use an API to hook into Googleā€™s results. Their entire existence relies on Google.

At least Brave is upfront about what they do.

Disclosure: I use Duckduckgo myself, but by no means feel itā€™s the ā€˜private alternative to Googleā€™ most see it as - if they stopped using Google ads, I might reconsider that opinion.

I donā€™t use Brave browser (because itā€™s based on Chromium, I prefer Firefox), but I am going to give their search engine a try.

1 Like

Brave creating a search engine is pretty interesting, I wonder if they just remove search results and add in their own results for BAT points.

I can confirm that they most certainly do not use Google Ads. Instead they use Bing Ads, better sort of but not much better. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ah! Thanks for the correction. Itā€™s been a long while since I saw Duckduckgo without an adblocker; my mistake. They both have similar in appearance ads.

Recommend Michaelā€™s look into Braveā€™s search engine:

1 Like