Bitwarden - Password Managing Made Simple (with TuxDigital) - Part 1

In this video Michael Tunnell and I discuss Bitwarden and why you should be using it as your password manager. We compare it to competitors like LastPass and detail why Bitwarden reigns supreme. Part 2 is available here: https://youtu.be/5t22YIeUTKE

10 Likes

Great collaboration, I would love to see more of this!

If you forget to create a login after using the password generator and loose your password in your clipboard, you have three options.

1. Use Plasma and find it in your clipboard history :stuck_out_tongue: (which you should clear regularly if your copying passwords)
  2. Go into the Bitwarden password generator and choose Password History to see a list of previously generated passwords.
  3. Do a password recovery on your account.

Also, if you go into Settings → Options there is a setting to clear the clipboard for a set amount of time. I find that useful on the mobile app.

Keep up the great work!!!

4 Likes

I started using Bitwarden about 3/4 weeks ago and I love it. I used to use 1Password but Bitwarden does everything 1Password did for free.

Saying that I did sign up for the Premium service ($10 per year? Seriously? I paid 4 times that for 1Password) to support the project and hopefully see it’s continued operation for years to come.

Only thing I haven’t found yet is the ability to use it as an OTP provider for accounts that can use 2FA, but I always have Authy for that.

4 Likes

Moved to Bitwarden a year back form LastPass. On the premium plan and loving it so far.

The one feature I am hoping to have in the future is to enable password protestion for secure notes as an added layer of protection.

5 Likes

Hey @Sar actually it does support 2FA. You will need to use the android app for this. After adding a new login, go to the edit section for that login and you will be presented with the 2FA column.

My Authy now only holds my 2FA key for bitwarden :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ooh, happy days, I’ll have to take a closer look at the android app then, which I have installed, but haven’t had a great dig around in as yet :smiley:

Thanks @d4n3sh :smiley:

That worked! :slight_smile:

Not quite as straightforward or as obvious as 1Password, but once you know how it can be done for other logins without issue :smiley:

I can now dump 1Password completely, as that’s the only thing I was using it for, was a 2FA login for one of my frequent logins :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could this be tagged to show up in the Tutorials section? This is one of my steps to de-Googling my life. Thanks for taking the time to make and post the videos!

3 Likes

Okay, you guys got me. I’m switching over. I’ve heard the name here and there and now I’m hooked.

Aside from the reasons so eloquently mentioned by you guys, I have my own bone to pick with LastPass – Recently I got a Paypal notification telling me that my automatic payment to LastPass had just gone through. That’s odd, thought me, I don’t remember setting up any automatic payments with them as I generally shy away from such things. I did, however, throw them some bones about 5 years ago. Yup, turns out I’ve been automatically paying them for their “premium” service for 5 years. I don’t remember consenting to anything like that, and oddly, I don’t know why I didn’t catch a Paypal mention earlier on. Needless to say I’m less than pleased. I stopped the recurring payments and am still fuming a bit about it. So…adios LastPass, hola Bit Warden!
Thanks for the in depth heads up. Super useful.

5 Likes

I just want to add to this thread that I recently switched from Dashlane to Bitwarden after hearing about it through the community and watching Part 1 and 2 that you guy collaborated. Bitwarden has been such a treat to use! What a fantastic open source password manager with such a robust feature set.

Thank you guys!

3 Likes