Best open source cross-browser bookmark syncing extension

At home, I use Firefox, Ghostery (testing it) & Brave (if I need Chromium). In my workplace, I use Firefox (mainly) & Edge (company standard & I have to use Windows (ugh)). I’m trying to find a good, trustworthy open source cross-browser syncing extension that I can host in OneDrive (work) or Nextcloud (home). Any suggestions? Also, I’d prefer if that tool won’t require me to have an offline copy for it to work.

I remember in a DLN episode they talked about some cross-browser bookmark extensions, but I can’t remember which one it was.

Do any of these ring any bells?

https://www.libhunt.com/t/bookmark-manager

1 Like
  • Nextcloud Bookmarks app
  • Floccus browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Vivaldi, Opera, Brave, Android.
    • Can sync to Nextcloud, Owncloud, local storage, generic webdav, or Google Drive
    • Supports adding as many accounts as you can throw a stick it.

It totally rules.

xbrowsersync is what I use. It works with all the browsers and instead of a username when you first set it up it gives you an anonymous sync id, and then you set up a password for it, and then you are good to go. It doesn’t even ask for any info from you at all. It plus bitwarden are the first 2 extensions I install on any browser. Now if there was something that was cross browser to sync tabs and history I would be set.

Floccus recently added tab sync support. I haven’t tested it yet.

1 Like

I may have to play with it on a browser by its self. Last time I messed with floccus it did some weird stuff to my bookmarks and I had to spend hours reorganizing them.

1 Like

I just keep backups of mine. The dev has been really kind and open hearted. A big improvement in the last year or so is:

• Automated backups of your bookmarks to the filesystem.

So even if things get screwy you can still restore from a json file backup.

If you play with tabs or find anything else not working as you would expect I know the dev will greatly appreciate bug reports and feedback. Can also be reached on Gitter / Matrix for Floccus chat and Bookmarks chat.

1 Like