Application Rundown | Linux Out Loud 10

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about what applications we use to make our Linux machine sing a beautiful digital song.

Welcome to episode 10 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00 Introduction
01:28 Better Audio
04:28 Magneto
06:46 24 Hr Game Stream
09:39 Among Us
12:01 Direct X11 Fix
15:37 Application Rundown
40:32 New Mouse
49:17 GOG CLI GUI
54:19 3D Printer Update
57:45 Close

Wendy

Nate

Matt

Upcoming Events

• Game Shpere 24 hour Charity Livestream
    • Monday, June 20, 2022 through Tuesday, June 21, 2022
      • Starts 9:00 AM EDT / 1:00 PM UTC
    • Charity

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

@matt Dude… how come you have not come across lgogdownloader? The windows version is a port of it.

GitHub - Sude-/lgogdownloader: LGOGDownloader is unofficial downloader to GOG.com for Linux users. It uses the same API as the official GOG Galaxy.

Don’t be a lightweight and sit on the cushion of Windows.

1 Like

Just listened to this episode today. The link to GOG CLI is great - one of your best recommendations @mattdln :sunglasses:

I have it backing up my GOG library to my NAS now. I didn’t bother with the GUI, but the CLI works great - you’ve ticked off a to-do list item for me. I’ve been meaning to go through and download an offline copy of the games and extras for ages but the thought of click, download, click, download, etc put me off.

1 Like

It is not being a lightweight to “sit on the cushion of Windows”. So two things, 1.) when it comes to gaming I do not limit myself, I will always be the best tool for the job type of person. So hence I will use MacOS, Windows, and Insert Linux distro here as it relates to “PC” gaming. 2.) IF you actually listened I said I wanted a GUI option for this NOT a CLI option. Which the options on Linux like Wyvern ( which I mentioned in the episode) and LGOGDownloader do NOT provide (which if LGOGDownloader does have a GUI please by all mean correct me. One could not be found in my search) However, there was a GUI option provided on Windows so that was what got used.

Catching up on DL episodes…

Here’s something a lot of people don’t know and about downloading everything… Android apps like ones that allow you to download offline maps for example often phone-home regularly and if they can’t for a certain period (like a month) they’ll brick themselves. It’s done as an anti-piracy measure but should something big happen where Internet goes off for a prolonged period a lot of people will find out these hidden expiry features the hard way.

Generally not a practice that impacts FLOSS projects but it’s definitely a concern on non-BSD/Linux platforms.

@mattdln i’m not done with you yet.

1 Like

Very good point! We use an app that has offline maps, but it hasn’t had a lack of internet access for more than a few days. Now I’m curious as to what would happen…