Anybody successfully compiled m4baker Audiobook Creation Tool?

Hello all,

as a podcast (guess which one :wink:) and audiobook fan I tried to install/compile m4baker, which seems to be the only Linux program for creating an audiobook file from several audio files

Git-Repository

Dependencies should be fulfilled as during the compiliation I do not receive an errors hinting to missing packages

sudo python setup.py install --optimize=1
/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/setuptools/_distutils/cmd.py:66: SetuptoolsDeprecationWarning: setup.py install is deprecated.
!!

********************************************************************************
        Please avoid running ``setup.py`` directly.
        Instead, use pypa/build, pypa/installer, pypa/build or
        other standards-based tools.

See https://blog.ganssle.io/articles/2021/10/setup-py-deprecated.html for details.
        ********************************************************************************

!!
  self.initialize_options()
/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/setuptools/_distutils/cmd.py:66: EasyInstallDeprecationWarning: easy_install command is deprecated.
!!

Please avoid running ``setup.py`` and ``easy_install``.
        Instead, use pypa/build, pypa/installer, pypa/build or
        other standards-based tools.

See https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/917 for details.

!!
  self.initialize_options()
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/m4baker/baseclasses.py", line 58
    print name.decode('utf-8') + ': ' + standardOutput.decode('utf-8')
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(...)?

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/m4baker/baseclasses.py", line 58
    print name.decode('utf-8') + ': ' + standardOutput.decode('utf-8')
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(...)?

zip_safe flag not set; analyzing archive contents...

The error messages advises to use a different command for compiling with python but I didn’t manage with the pip command, maybe somebody can give me a leg up?

The file mentioned in the error message which features a syntax errors seems to be created at runtime during the compilation process, it doesn’t exist statically in the cloned git repository.

- Fedora Workstation 39
- Kernel information: Linux Fedora-Kotik 6.7.7-200.fc39.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Mar 1 16:53:59 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Many thanks in advance