Any keyboard nerds?

This one uses the scissor switches. It feels like typing on a high quality laptop keyboard. I sometimes compare it to the old Thinkpad keyboards but softer.

I have tried many keyboards and switches over the years. I have finally settled on this, a 75% keyboard (can live without a numpad, but I NEED function keys). The switches are Kaihl Box navy switches which are very clicky and are sealed against dust. The volume knob was the only thing missing. The Perfection 75 had all that, but at $500+ kitted out, I would have been sleeping outside with the keyboard. The GMMK Pro was very reasonably priced as these things go. I have tried ergo keyboards, ortho keyboards and ergo+ortho keyboards in QWERTY, Dvorak, and Colemak. They made my hands/arms/shoulders hurt and I would write nothing but a string of typos. Plain old staggered QWERTY for me works best.

1 Like

I just got myself a new Keychron K4 v2 96% keyboard with White LEDs and Brown switches and I think I’m in love. This is my second ever mechanical keyboard. My first was a Redragon with blue switches. I now prefer browns over blues.

I just realized I haven’t shared my new baby on this thread!

It’s a ZSA Moonlander. It came with Kailh Box Browns, but I switched them out for Box Royals. I like them (and the rest of the keyboard) a lot!

4 Likes

Since my last post I bought an iqunix l80 and a customised feker 75% both ansi. I give up trying to get good iso gear. I couldnt beat em so I’ve joined em.

Do keyboard nerds use i3, Sway or PopOS where they get to use the keyboard more then the mouse?

CrunchBang used to be good for keyboard shortcuts too. I once tried to get CrunchBang working like a tiling window manager…

Do not think I got very far. :slight_smile:

I miss my old Model M’s and the joy that they bring. I remember the joy that came from connecting with your early computer and the tactile reinforcement of ideas, memories, and dreams that came from it. I had a few American issues, one Swedish (as I had always wanted to learn the language and I actually liked the layout), and at one time switched the keycaps on one during the foolish intrepid days that I wanted to confuse everyone and be better through Dvorak.

Right now I have the Mini M by Unicomp. Really enjoy it. I even customized the WASD and Super keycaps for more of my liking. At times I miss the 10-key especially when going through my finances and using speedcrunch, but I survive. I am considering ordering a Swedish layout full keyboard from them to add to the collection. The Swedish version deos not offer a Mini.

The only thing I will say that can be issue is key rollover. Unicomp does not have nkey rolllover so depending on your needs you may be limited in your key combinations. I have found that I can use Ctrl-Alt-Delete but not Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Delete as a combination for logout.

I have used Cherry Blue and a couple of alternative suppliers of that style. They work well. Nice feedback and feel. I have not messed with the other switches to date.

Have you checked out a switch tester? You can order one with various switches to test out which works best for you.

In terms of layout, although I would like to learn Dvorak again, when I did try the first several rounds it took a hit on productivity and I never quite got settled into it. I am ANSI QWERTY. I have my caps lock disabled. I use it a press-to-talk for mumble. My keyboards are generally USB as rarely have access to a PS2 port.

I forgot to say both my new boards pictured above use lubed akko jelly pinks. They are extremely smooth linears.

They use spectrwm, dwm and ratpoison. :slight_smile:

Ordered one of these bad boys last year in a group buy. Should ship hopefully in the next couple of weeks. This is a VULCAN X KBDFANS MAJA V2 which I will equip with Kailh Box Navy switches. I have a couple of keycap sets I will try out.

I had to give my GMMK Pro to my daughter who needed it for work and I have been using a Drop Alt 65% keyboard.

3 Likes

Xmonad or Qtile.

Is that real wood? It looks amazing.

Solid walnut.

This is my new main keyboard, Its a Keychron Q1 with Akko Jelly Black switches and Olivia keycaps
Its modded with Silicon sheet, force break mod, tempest mod and lubed switches.

1 Like

Awesome! I have one of these, too! It’s my daily driver and it’s definitely helped my wrists out. I stick to Cherry MX Browns because I’m basic. Still, I love the mouseless feature on this board. Let alone the sweet midi capabilities!

Oh, I’m basic, too. I only have the Box Royals because they were offered to me by a friend at a very generous price.

1 Like

Endgame: Vulkan x Maja v2 + Kailh Box Navy + Glimy DSA 2077 keycaps.

My wrists feel better already.

4 Likes

I loved the Keychron Q1 so much I bought a Q2 for my other desk. This one has Akko Jelly Blue Tactiles, and the same mods as the Q1.

There seems to be a lot of excitement around the mechanical keyboards, so I had to try it out for myself. This is probably the most expensive keyboard I’ve ever purchased (Over $160) – a Das Keyboard Prime 13 (Browns) from the System 76 website. Its the one that has a white-only-backlight.

Oddly enough, while I wasn’t sure what to expect, I was braced for some amazing difference between this new Mechanical Keyboard and was shocked to discover it was a lot louder and I was making way too many typos (Mostly repeated letters).

After giving it a go for about a month, I ended up switching back to the Microsoft 5000 keyboard I’ve been using for years. It’s much quieter, consistent, and the dedicated keys I guess I actually used a lot more than I realized.

They say the pen is mightier than the sword or gun, but I’m guessing a Keyboard is kind of like a firearm… you’ll know the one that fits you and you’ll just keep coming back to it.

Was glad I tried the experience, but, for me, I seem to be missing the ‘trick’ to mechanical keyboards. I still think they are way cooler to look at than my old MS5000, but Microsoft makes a good keyboard, if not much else. :stuck_out_tongue: