AMD hardware is awesome for Linux, but what about Adrenaline?

I’ve used AMD hardware exclusively for years now since the drivers are open source and just work in Linux. However, I’ve gotten a bit jealous of Windows users since they have access to all the graphical goodness that is Adrenaline Software. My question is, when will someone, somehow make a Linux version of Adrenaline? I know there’s CoreCtrl, but honestly it’s kinda lame in my opinion…

Newb question: Is this what you mean by Adrenalin software?

" AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition

Designed to provide you with a clean, modern and easy-to-use interface where you can quickly access the latest software features, game stats, performance reports, driver updates, and much more - all from one convenient location. Take advantage of the ALT+R hotkey to open AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition directly in-game, making it even more convenient and easy to adjust your favorite features and get a fantastic gaming experience. "

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/software

I’m wondering how many of these features already have linux projects catering to them but lack a nice interface to tie them all together.

Well, I was referring to features like FSR, Radeon Image Sharpening, Integer Scaling, and probably my favorite one, Smart Access Memory. There’s a bunch of other features that can be turned on and off and adjusted with toggles and sliders all in one, simple interface.

Thank you, i’m really not up on new hardware let alone GPUs/gaming stuff but this gives me the “magic words”. :stuck_out_tongue:

It appears Proton 4.11-10 +? supports integer scaling but it needs to be turned on: details

I’ve always seen “Image Sharpening” as more of a monitor setting but it miiiiight be possible through the compositor (ex: compton), no idea on that, i’m not seeing anything. I’d imagine sharpness is the main part (possibly only part?) that makes FSR (image enhanced upscaling) work. At least that’s what I do when I upscale something in krita.

Bit of a smörgåsbord.

We somewhat have FSR with Wine/Proton but you’d have to play Windows games to take advantage of it. I’m not sure but I think you can enable FSR through Gamescope for native games.

Never heard of Gamescope… I’ll have to check it out. Smart Access Memory I think would be something difficult to replicate, although it sounds like a driver-level function to me… Maybe it just needs to be “activated” or something…

From what I’ve seen Smart Access Memory or Resizeable BAR support is already supported on Linux. All you need to do for Smart Access Memory is enable it in your motherboards BIOS/UEFI, From the AMD page on SAM:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

1. Enter the System BIOS. This is typically done by pressing the DEL or F12 key during system startup

2. Navigate to Advanced Settings or Advanced menu

3. Enable “Above 4G Decoding” and “Re-Size BAR Support” shown above.

Just to reiterate what have been said before.
Smart Acess Memory is fully supported in linux, you just have to enable it in your UFEI first. To check if you have enabled and working run in terminal:

sudo dmesg | grep BAR=

If it returns BAR=256, it’s not working. Anything above that and youŕe good to go.

AMD FSR can be set from your gaming client. If you’re using Lutris or Heroic you thers a box in the setting you have to tic.
In Steam you have to add the launch options:
WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 to enable it.
WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH= is optional, it controls the amount of sharpening, 0 is the maximum sharpness, higher values mean less sharpening. The default is 5.

But for FSR to work you also have to use a wine/proton custom version that have it enabled/supported, like for example proton-ge, wine-ge or wine-tkg e.t.c

I did know about the UEFI setting, I didn’t know about how to check to see if it’s working. I’ll have to try that. I also didn’t know about the Lutris option. That’s how I launch all my games, but I’ve never see that. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

No worries, dude ! :slight_smile:
We are all here to learn and help. :slight_smile:

Here’s a video on rough estimates on what you can expect on SAM/Rebar with AMD on Linux.