Admin accounts and user accounts

What is your usual approach to accounts on your Linux system?

When I install Xubuntu I usually set a “admin” account during the install, then add accounts after the post-install reboot. This way, the admin account has “sudo” but the others do not. I only use the admin account when I’m running the updater or installing new software for all users.

I ask, because I keep seeing “howto” guides that make no mention of which steps or aspects are for all users and which are per-user actions. As a consequence I have to look a bit deeper to work those out. The only sense I can make of articles being that way is that the writers use just one account for all things - of which the politest I can be is to call that “ill-advised”.

1 Like

I think it’s because it’s highly context dependent.

Ideally root wouldn’t be used and account(s) with sudo would only be used in a separate TTY outside of a desktop environment for tasks that need sudo.

Depending on the workflow that can be easy or it can be nearly unusable. It just depends how much you need sudo and how important that clipboard and browser support is while you’re scripting or running commands.

Personally I keep root as a disaster recovery login. This means usually that I have broken badly my system and need to fix it.

Other than that, one admin account that has privileged access to the system for daily administration. I use it usually in a shell with su rather than loging as that admin user.

Regular user for daily usage.

I also agree with @Ulfnic you may want a privilege user as your daily user on a dev or tinkering system where you spend most of your time deep in the system. As usual the answer needs to be nuanced

If the system is share with multiple people, I would advise to create only unprivileged users appart from the admin user, otherwise you will loose control over the state of the system.