A/V Calling with XMPP

I followed Digital Ocean’s guide on setting up XMPP server, then followed this guide for a TURN/STUN server. The calls go out, but they never connect! I’ve followed the Conversations app developer’s guide for troubleshooting, and even though I show the XEP-0215 standard as activated, neither audio nor video calls will connect.

Text and picture messaging works fine, but it’s the calling feature, one of the main reasons I wanted to start this project, isn’t working! Any help would be appreciated.

I had mistyped the TURN secret between turnserver.conf and prosody.config.lua.

I can now send text, pictures and files and make audio/video calls, all encrypted to people on my own little network.

1 Like

How does the audio/video calls work out for you? Ive been trying to find a self host replacement of discord, was looking at Matrix.

The real problem is buy-in and mobile clients that support it. I have another android device here, and the audio is fantastic. The video works decently too; not as clear as 1:1 Jitsi Meet calls on mobile, but better than Jami, which is what else I’ve tried.

The buy-in problem is obvious, you have to other people who want to test with you. I have auto-registration turned off of mine, to keep from being spammed. So I manually register people.

With devices, I think Conversations is the only one on Android that supports calling. I don’t know of a desktop client that does (Gajim can, but it has some requirements for software that I couldn’t meet). The other issue is: if I text/send files, it works like SMS. But there are in-device settings that prevent inbound calls from working normally. They will on my phone, but I can’t get my other Android device to allow inbound calls without having the app open, if that makes sense.

I’m trying to find someone with an iPhone so I can test it out.

All that being said, E2EE is very neat. I can see the logs in the server to see who is sending what to whom, but I can’t see the text if OMEMO is on. If you use it unencrypted, you can read the plain text that was sent.

Filling this in after testing. If someone from Siskin on iPhone calls me, we can chat. I cannot dial them, and I understand that to be an implementation issue on Siskin’s side.

As for Conversations - Conversations on Android, it’s iffy to get it to RING. If they ring, audio and video are clear and work great. It’s just tricky to setup the client to allow those notifications. All in all, I really only use it with 1 or 2 people, which is a shame.