258: XZ Backdoor Attack, Linux Mint 22, Fedora Switch to KDE?, Flathub Unverified & more Linux news

Hi Michael

With regards to the Redis license change: have you considered that those small companies might be forced to change their model because they are exploited. They provide the tech and the big cloud provides make the money.
In recent years there have been multiple instances of such license changes: Elasticsearch, Terraform, Akka, and now Redis.

The topic of explotation was brought to my attention by this recent talk at NDC London conference.

Maybe that is a topic you could discuss on Destination Linux.

Just to give an example I experienced recently at a big governmental client in Germany. After Docker changed their model for Docker Desktop to a paid model, all developers (they have a couple of thousand) have been forced to move to WSL without Docker Desktop (something I dont mind in general). At the same time, they are luckily paying (probably) millions to Oracle and Microsoft.

The topic is probably very nuanced because you cannot apply this to all Open Source projects. The Kernel is developed by many big and small corporations as well as individuals. The problems seems to be for small tech stacks which are mainly exploited by companies and cloud providers.