256: Linux Desktop Growth, Fedora Dropping Xorg, Nintendo vs Yuzu lawsuit & more Linux news

1 Like

Thanks for this, @MichaelTunnell - always excited to hear of a new LFS release. I’ve built it a few times over the years, but always get stuck at a very late manual network configuration stage. I tried to drum-up support in this community a long while ago to collaborate on some builds but the enthusiasm wasn’t there.

Currently I’m focusing on testing and development tools and looking for my next contract. When I have a bit more pocket money and time, I’m likely to give LFS another shot, main aim being to reach BLFS this time too!

As for GNU Image Manipulation Package and Gtk2; Gtk3 in the Gnome 3 release, I wonder if they’re planning G.I.M.P. 4 already, using Gtk4?

Also, in using Fedora 40 KDE spin (KDE 6, Wayland only), the only hitch I’ve encountered is my usual onscreen keyboard (Onboard) isn’t working. I haven’t scouted for an alternative yet, but I’m sure I’ll find one. This is really important because I do need multi-language and RTL support, fairly regularly :grinning:

I think it’s just way too much even in a group effort lol I did it once and thats enough forever imo lol

They have been working on GIMP 3.0 for at least a few years now to go from GTK2 to GTK3. GTK4 has been released before they started the move to GTK3 I think. They claimed the port to GTK3 was done over a year ago on Mastodon so who knows when we will get the actual release but I am very confident that GIMP with GTK4 either is VERY far away or not even planned with a potential skip to GTK5. GIMP is so far behind the industry I am not sure why it still exists honestly. GIMP 2.x was first released in 2004 . . . it’s been this main branch for 20 years now. Even when GIMP 3 comes out, it will be a while before it goes to GTK4 or anything later.

I think the maliit-keyboard works on KDE under Wayland, give that a shot

1 Like