241: Jill's Treasure Hunt & Best Search Engines for Privacy

5 Likes

Answers to VE64RDā€™s question this week. Have more thoughts? See post below:

I canā€™t tell if @MichaelTunnell is sitting or standing.

1 Like

Another good episode. Iā€™ll have to have a play with Searx.

Another search alternative that I keep hoping will one day have a new wave of excitement and development around it is Yacy. I love the decentralised nature of it but itā€™s search results and interface need work.

1 Like

Itā€™s a stool so both at the same time =)

1 Like

It may be worth noting that Duck Duck Goā€™s Bang system doesnā€™t seem to anonymize your search. From their Duck Duck Goā€™s page explaining ā€œbangsā€:

Remember, though, because your search is actually taking place on that other site, you are subject to that siteā€™s policies, including its data collection practices.

2 Likes

Good to know, I guess that part isnā€™t proxied.

Nice catch

Thanks, everyone, for another excellent episode. @jill_linuxgirl 's tour of her hardware treasures is always a treat, with no exception this time! Love the little laptop. I remember them from years ago. I imagine funding for the project ran out, which is a real pity.

Ohmygit.org sounds very handy indeed. I plan to play it :slight_smile:

Favourite joke of the week: Noah rescuing someone whoā€™s stuck in vim :wink:

4 Likes

Been playing with OhMyGit. Itā€™s pretty decent, except for there are no ā€˜helpā€™ options. And the instructions are occasionally very vague. Thereā€™s a section Iā€™m stuck on, and canā€™t figure out. The concept makes sense, but I canā€™t figure out how to actually pass the section. Which is more than a little frustrating.

Itā€™s definitely worth playing with though. If you can figure out how to get past ā€˜rebasingā€™, let me knowā€¦

1 Like

On the matter of privacy search engines. I also use duckduckgo most of the time. The fact that all we have is their word that theyā€™re respecting our privacy makes me nervous though. Itā€™s not Open Source or encrypted in such a way we can verify what they do with our data. Thatā€™s not good enough. Considering what we know about the NSA it seems possible that even if duckduckgo wanted to keep their word the government might have given them secret orders. Iā€™m hoping to use something better in the future. Iā€™ve played with Searx a bit and should probably explore it more.

edit: I think of duckduckgo as the Apple of search engines. They provide an unverifiable promise of privacy.

edit 2: Privacy aside. The authority over search results is a powerful thing.

2 Likes

I think the reason we donā€™t have a superior example to point to is because making one is extremely hard.

That isnā€™t to say duckduckgo wouldnā€™t benefit from having things like warrant canaries and other improvements but creation of a 100% open infrastructure is quite a task in a climate thatā€™s short on the kind of extreme talent it takes to pull something like that off. Something like Etherium or a derivative could do that kind of open computation but the devilā€™s in the details especially if it needs to be free for all searches.

2 Likes